Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Courseload 2018

dudedog111dudedog111 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hi,
I am currently a sophomore and I am in the process of deciding the courses for next year.
My favorite subjects are science and history and have gotten high A's in honor science/history classes, and my least favorite subject is Spanish (but still in the A's). So I am thinking to take more ap classes in Science and History classes but I am a little bit worried about the workload.

Being at a highschool in upstate New York, our school doesn't offer many ap courses such as ap stats, ap env, ap psych, ap econ, etc.

I am currently taking: AP World Histroy
Chemistry H
Precalculus H
English 10H
Spanish 3H
Global Environment ESF (SUPA)
Health
Study Halll

For next year I am planning to take: AP US History
AP Chemistry
AP Biology/Pre-AP Spanish 4
AP Calculus B/C
Principles of Engineering
Concert Choir
Study Hall

I am debating between taking AP Biology with Pre-AP Spanish 4. I am definitely a science person than a language person and I enjoy studying science. But I am also a little bit worried about only taking Spanish for 3 years (2 years at Highschool, 1 year at Middle School) and about the courseload.

I don't have huge time committments in my extracurricular activities, and I plan to have a full study hall.

I would appreciate your help.
Thanks guys!

Replies to: AP Courseload 2018

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,876 Super Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Don't take AP Bio and AP Chem concurrently. In addition to the time commitment required by virtue of being AP's, each requires a lot of time for labs and lab reports. For many schools, these classes are either double-periods, or require additional time before/after school. Save one for the following year.

If you're targeting a college that requests/requires 3-4 years of foreign language, add Spanish back in.

Additionally, at some point, you should take a physics course (not necessarily AP).
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,104 Senior Member
    No English course next year?
  • dudedog111dudedog111 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I am taking English 11H as well
  • Candyblossom1245Candyblossom1245 Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Be aware of taking 2 science APs, even though you like science. I'd take Spanish and save AP Bio for senior year.
This discussion has been closed.