right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Should I take the AP Physics 1 Exam?

sciencegirl2024sciencegirl2024 36 replies8 threads Junior Member
Hi all,

I am currently taking AP Physics 1, but not really. My transcript shows that I am taking this class, but my teacher is not taking it seriously and has even told me that we won't reach a good chunk of the curriculum by the exam date. (For reference, it is the end of January and we are just finishing the dynamics unit.)

I am trying to decide whether it is a good idea to put in the time to self-study, or if this is even possible. I am planning to major in engineering so physics is a major-related course for me.

I am already planning to take AP Physics C: Mechanics next year and take the exam, so I will get AP physics exam credit that way. Would it look bad to not take the AP exam for Phys 1 if I took the course?

However, Phys 1 seems to be the "easiest" of the 4 AP Physics courses, and I feel that I might be able to self-study? I have never self-studied for an AP before, since most of the other teachers at my school prepare students well for the exams. I would like to be sure I could get at least a 4 (all other AP scores so far have been 5s, except one 4).

I need to decide whether to register for the exam by Jan. 31st as this is when my school's exam registration is due.

I appreciate any input you have and would be happy to answer any additional questions about the situation!
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I take the AP Physics 1 Exam?

• damon30damon30 1147 replies5 threads Senior Member
    Yes, register for the exam and self-study. You will get better grades this year and next and likely a better score on the Physics C test.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83898 replies744 threads Senior Member
    But note that AP physics 1 credit may not be all that valuable.

* No subject credit for engineering or physics majors, who take calculus-based physics.
    * May be a liability for pre-meds, because some medical schools want pre-meds to take physics in college, but other medical schools will see repeating AP credit with a college course as grade-grubbing.
    * May be accepted for subject credit for non-pre-med biology and architecture majors, depending on the college.
    * May be accepted for science breadth for non-science majors, depending on the college.
    * Credit may be lost if student also has AP physics C or takes a college physics course.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 5101 replies61 threads Senior Member
    Look at the score distribution. I wouldn't sit the test unless you are serious about it.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity