Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How hard is AP English Language?

13»

Replies to: How hard is AP English Language?

• ufcollinsufcollins Registered User Posts: 172 Junior Member
    The test in my opinion is one of the easiest to pass, but just about the single hardest to get a 5 on. I consider myself a pretty week writer (540 SAT 8 ACT essay) and not a strong multiple choice student, but I recieved a four this year. I think continuous practice and familiarity with the MC format as well as the type of essays will be sufficient for a passing grade.
  • PuzzlePuzzle Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    I have a somewhat natural affinity for English (it's my worst subject, but I got a 740 on the SAT CR without studying).

I didn't study for the AP and my teacher didn't prep us at all (I mean absolutely nothing regarding format or writing essays) and I got a 5.
  • teamamteamam Registered User Posts: 447 Member
    I get B+'s in english, for the most part, and took the exam without taking the class. Other than preparing for the SAT CR section, which is a little bit similar to part of the AP Lang exam, I had no specific preparation. 4! :)
  • PlecostomusPlecostomus Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    The class (at my school) has absolutely no relation to the AP test. Even the teachers say they don't know what's going to show up and they can't prepare us.
  • lockdown22lockdown22 Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    It was unbelievably easy for me, but English has always been one of my better subjects. I didn't even attempt to study for it and got a 5. The MC was just a much easier SAT CR, and the writing wasn't anything difficult.
  • RixsRixs Registered User Posts: 1,003 Senior Member
    I did not take the class (though it was offered).

I studied briefly using the PR book for like...three days before the test. All I learned was the vocabulary/literary devices necessary and how to pick out examples of each term, and I learned the formats of the essays.

I got a 5.
  • dreamsofivydreamsofivy Registered User Posts: 604 Member
    I am a math person, however I got a 5 without the class. I think the biggest help was I took AP USH this year in which we did a lot of timed essays, so I learned how to balance my time between prep and writing for the essays. I utilized this knowledge on the AP English test. Even though I am a math person, I love english and spanish class as well. I received a 770 on the CR section of the SAT and a 760 on the Writing section. The multiple choice is not that bad at all, actually. It's VERY similiar to the SAT CR. All prose.

I would say your D could do well, as long as she's adept at english.
  • Salve!Salve! Registered User Posts: 1,551 Senior Member
    People are saying that this year was easier and more people received 5s. We'll have to see when the stats come out.
  • RandwulfRandwulf Registered User Posts: 483 Member
    I took a class but it wasn't very helpful (we only wrote three or four timed papers and probably about six un-timed papers). We spent most of our time doing dumb projects like posters and discussing philosophy. We did do some multiple choice practice, but probably only about 30 questions total.

I consider myself to be a good writer. I do not consider myself to be a good rapid-fire, speed writer. I always need to do a lot of editing. So I was feeling kind of nervous the night before the test and I decided to have a look at examples from the past. They made me feel SO much better and they gave me a good idea of what was expected. I ended up with a 5.
  • youmils03youmils03 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I can't really say how hard the class is. I didn't even work THAT hard in my AP English class and got a 94. Other people work super super super hard in other schools and BARELY pull off an A-. It depends on how watered down the class is. My school has a watered down AP Language course, so I got a 3 on the exam.

I got a 4 on the practice exams and formulate arguments well, but I guess I either misunderstood one of the essays or totally got ****ed over on one of the multiple-choice reading passages.

Let's put it this way: AP ENGLISH LANGUAGE EXAM IS NOT AN EASY TEST. If you LIKE to read and are NATURALLY GOOD at English, you should get a 4 or MAYBE a 5 with lots of review and practice. Otherwise, it will be hard to squeak a 4. It is the AP exam that is graded the most difficult out of all, and like 70% of people get a 1, 2, or 3.

Good luck!
  • ObitoSigmaObitoSigma Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    So... everyone says that the exam should easy, but then I only hear person talk about the exam being difficult.
13»
This discussion has been closed.