Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Understanding Chem for AP Bio

NucleusNucleus Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
edited September 2007 in AP Tests Preparation
I can't seem to understand the chemistry for AP Bio like the orbitals, and the structure of molecules. They say that structure = function so I should know how they are positioned right? Is there an easy way to determine molecule structure by looking at the 2d picture? Also, am I suppose to memorize hydroxl, carbonyl, and all of the other functional groups etc.? Are there easy ways to memorize these?
Post edited by Nucleus on

Replies to: Understanding Chem for AP Bio

• chaz90chaz90 Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    I'd memorize the functional groups. It really doesn't take that long and will possibly help you on the test, and for sure in college. For orbitals however, that's definitely not on the test. I'm completely awful at the orbitals and I got a 5 on AP Bio. I know my teacher used the phrase "form fits function", and that really seemed to help me. Don't worry about the specific shapes, just realize that the shape matters to what they affect. I mean, realize each enzyme works only on a specific substrate, and you should be fine in that category.
  • wxmannwxmann Registered User Posts: 855 Member
    know your functional groups.

know water.

you should know van der Waals, ionic/covalent bonds, hydrogen bonding.

I'm not sure you need to know that much about orbitals for Biochem.
  • NucleusNucleus Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    Is there nomenclature for these functional groups? That way I can remember them better and be able to to define others too.
This discussion has been closed.