Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

To take AP Calc AB test in May or not? not= easy GPA boost in college

thecalccobrathecalccobra Registered User Posts: 902 Member
edited February 2008 in AP Tests Preparation
im really confused as to whether i should take it or not
Post edited by thecalccobra on

Replies to: To take AP Calc AB test in May or not? not= easy GPA boost in college

• JtotheEWJtotheEW Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Cant you just take the AP, get elective credits, then retake calc 1 in college?
  • TheMathProfTheMathProf Registered User Posts: 810 Member
    You might think so (about the grade boost), but depending on the college, some of those professor who teach Calc 1 are really particular about the course. Some of the colleges also like to think of it as a weed-out course. I've had students who have struggled in AP Calc who have done exceptionally well in some of those courses thanks to the AP background. But if you run into the wrong type of professor, I also know other folks who have really struggled.

I'd take the test personally.
  • srrinathsrrinath Registered User Posts: 2,363 Senior Member
    either way, the calculus background you get in ap calc will help you lots in science or math related courses in college or maybe even in late high school years. i find it extremely useful on physics problems that may require some calculus working.
This discussion has been closed.