Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Complete Self-Study AP vs. taking Honors Course?

JakeusJakeus Registered User Posts: 369 Member
edited February 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
I was planning on self-studying AP Environmental Science, but I just found out that my parents don't believe in self-studying, and without them my counselor cannot give me the test.

I'm thinking of taking the honors Environmental Science class (school does not have AP) while self-studying for the AP exam (parents have no problem with that, :P)

Will it still be admirable to take the AP test without taking an AP class, or am I just wasting my time? I really wanted to make a good impression on colleges by self-studying completely, but taking and honors course is the next-best option I have.

Thanks
Post edited by Jakeus on

Replies to: Complete Self-Study AP vs. taking Honors Course?

• Sligh_AnarchistSligh_Anarchist Registered User Posts: 2,193 Senior Member
    Your parents don't believe in self-studying? Well, I am sure they don't plan on paying for college then either. Most of your college work will be independently done. ;)

Facetiousness aside, your best route would be to take the honors Environmental Science course, then study for the AP exam. That will look great!
  • JakeusJakeus Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    Actually, they don't believe that I can take the AP course without a teacher... The Honors Environmental Science fulfills their requirement, but I'm pretty sure I won't be going to her with my questions :P...
  • eldoboyeldoboy Registered User Posts: 263 Junior Member
    But I heard that AP Enviro Sci is one of the easiest AP's.
    You'd probably do good without even taking the Honors Class
  • JakeusJakeus Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    I know I can take it without the class, but I just wanted to know if colleges would notice that I took the AP exam while in an Honors course.

If there is no advantage, I can take the AP course online and be better prepared for the test anyways.
  • pink33837pink33837 Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    Well Jakeus, I am taking the AP Biology and AP Psychology exams this year and my stupid school doesn't even offer Honors class. I have to self-study for those and 3 sat subject tests. I asked before and some guy told me that on the college application in the additional information I could right that I self-studied for them. So, I think (if you can and make sure that you can first) that you should self-study and then note that you did.
This discussion has been closed.