Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

is this ok?

motivated_101motivated_101 Registered User Posts: 750 Member
edited February 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
ok so, i'm really interested in math and so i've been trying to get to higher levels of math in school. In the summer before freshman year, i took a geometry class over the summer. So as a freshman i was in the sophmore honors math class.

now this year, im a sophmore in precalc and I'm self studying ap calc ab even though it is offered at my school. I've gotten pretty far (just starting integrals).

I've heard that colleges don't like it when you self study for an ap offered at your school, but do you think my case is an exception? Because like I said, i really really like math and I don't find my schools math class's challenging enough.
Post edited by motivated_101 on

Replies to: is this ok?

• SharkObsessedSharkObsessed Registered User Posts: 350 Member
    I say you should go right ahead, they just don't want people to self-study just because they know they won't get as easy of an A as they want if they take the actual AP.
  • stephennnstephennn Registered User Posts: 2,103 Senior Member
    you are right on track for calc ab, we started integrals right before december break. (i know this wasn't the purpose of the thread, but i just wanted to let you know =D)

you should be fine. as long as you do well on the exam!
  • mathinokcmathinokc Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    Kind of off-topic, but if you're interested in math, wouldn't it be better to put in the time working on USAMTS problems, studying for AMC-10 and AMC-12 tests, and working on the MathCamp, HCSSiM, and AwesomeMath entrance tests?

What do you plan on doing next school year in math?
  • motivated_101motivated_101 Registered User Posts: 750 Member
    yeah i'm planning on taking the AMC 10 this year and the AMC 12 next year.
    I'm interested in math, but i don't have any intentions of getting a math major in college. I'm planning on going into the med field.

I'm planning on taking Calc 2 next year.
  • mathinokcmathinokc Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    Is Calc 2 essentially AP Calc BC?

If so, you might just wait and only take the BC exam. You'll get AB subscores on it....

Or do you need the AP scores to get you into Calc 2 next year?
  • motivated_101motivated_101 Registered User Posts: 750 Member
    I was planning on taking Calc 2 at the University of MN.
    So i will need the AP Calc Ab scores.
This discussion has been closed.