Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Calc BC help!

starwarsfanstarwarsfan Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
edited April 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
In the paper 2007, question 3, part (a), I don't understand the solution at all. I'm confused about the areas of polar curves, and prep books aren't helping. (i'm self study...)
Post edited by starwarsfan on

Replies to: Calc BC help!

• starwarsfanstarwarsfan Registered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    also, does anyone know what the curve for calc bc is? what's the % for a 5?
  • immortaliximmortalix Registered User Posts: 676 Member
    According to http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap08_CalculusBC_GradeDistributions.pdf:

AP Calculus BC
    Student Grade Distributions
    AP Examinations - May 2008
    Examination Grade Calculus BC

5 - 30,045 students or 43.5%
    4 - 12,008 students or 17.4%
    3 - 13,408 students or 19.4%
    2 - 4,664 students or 6.7%
    1 - 8,978 students or 13.0%
    Number of Students: 69,103

You can also find the grade distributions for other subjects by going here: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/subjects.html. Click on the subject and on the left-hand side, click on 'Grade Distribution'.
  • Ren the SAT'erRen the SAT'er Registered User Posts: 2,303 Senior Member
    ^i think he meant the curve..

i think BC curve shouldn't be too diff from AB's curve,

probably 60~65+ pts would be the cutoff for 5?

OT
    i'd like to know this as well..i suck at polar curves and series~~
    where's themathprof? hehe
  • TheMathProfTheMathProf Registered User Posts: 810 Member
    I usually dodge the BC questions, as I only teach AB and have long since forgotten half of the BC material. Such as polar curves. :)

That being said, here's my understanding of it, taking a quickie glance at what's there:

Let @ = theta. If you wanted to calculate the area of the shaded region, the integral expression represents only the area of the section of the curve from @ = 2pi/3 to @ = 4pi/3. In order to understand what's going on there, imagine a straight line connecting the origin to each of the intersection points. That divides the region into two sections: (1) a Pac-man like section consisting of the circle (r = 2) from @ = 2pi/3 traced around clockwise to the other intersection point at @ = 4pi/3, and (2) the rest of the shaded region that's sitting in "Pac-man's mouth".

The integral calculates the area of what's in Pac-man's mouth. The other piece (the 2/3pi(2)^2) of the area calculation is just finding the fraction of the circle that's there. In this case, there's 2/3rds of the circle there (an entire circle encompasses 2pi, and this circle encompasses 4pi/3: 2pi/3 from @ = 0 to @ = 2pi/3, and 2pi/3 from @ = 4pi/3 back to @ = 2pi).

Hope that helps.
    ^thanks, though i got lost half way lol.. kinda sleep right now.. i'll bookmark this and come back later :)
    also, this guy has really neat, easily understood notes for calculus..
    Pauls Online Notes : Calculus II - Area with Polar Coordinates
    ^there he explains the polar curves etc..
    its pretty useful~
    I nailed the polar section. yay..

its pretty easy now cuz i know how the limits sweep counterclockwise etc
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn - Posts: 16,060 Senior Member
    The curve for BC I believe hovers around 65/108. 75 is a safe 5 (in that it will almost always be a 5 even if barely). Above 90/108 and you've pretty much aced the test.

FWIW, I found PR to be very helpful. You'll get a good feeling for what's on the test and its explanations are quite good too.
    ^ty, i have the pr book, and willl start atking them soon :)
This discussion has been closed.