Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Taking AP Comp Sci A AND AP Comp Sci AB tests

owliceowlice Registered User Posts: 3,225 Senior Member
edited April 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
Is there a reason a student should take both?

Someone has suggested to my S that he do so. He's already signed up to take the CS AB test; should he consider taking the CS A test, too? (He'd take A on May 5, and AB in the late testing period.)
Post edited by owlice on

Replies to: Taking AP Comp Sci A AND AP Comp Sci AB tests

• owliceowlice Registered User Posts: 3,225 Senior Member
    Or would taking both mean he's a glutton for punishment? :D
  • immortaliximmortalix Registered User Posts: 676 Member
    ^not sure what that second post means

There really isn't any reason a student should take both. Comp Sci A covers like really really basic stuff. If your son isn't ready to take the early AB test, then maybe taking A is beneficial if it can push the AB test to a later date, and it'll be a good practice. Otherwise, no need to have him sit through an extra 3 hour exam that isn't going to impress colleges since he's going to take the harder one anyways.
  • theshonen8899theshonen8899 Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    That's like saying "Take the Calculus AB test with your BC test even though most colleges won't offer any additional credit for AB" if they allowed it.
  • An0malyAn0maly Registered User Posts: 2,792 Senior Member
    Well I'm taking both this year, but I'm only doing A because it's free since the state pays for it because I have the class. I'm self studying AB pretty much, since it's not really much more.
  • jmljml Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    Only take one of the exams. No reason at ALL to take both. Whoever recommended that he take both doesn't understand those tests.

The AB exam is the A exam material with about 5 additional topics added on.
  • KutlessRockKutlessRock Registered User Posts: 247 Junior Member
    The AB topics are actually some of the easiest stuff. Not worth taking both. Some colleges will give the same credit for getting a 4 or 5 on the A as a 3 on the AB and more, sometimes twice as much, for getting a 4 or 5 on the AB.
This discussion has been closed.