Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Calculus Textbook

MrWheezyMrWheezy Registered User Posts: 445 Member
edited August 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
Is it just me or is "Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebric" by Finney/Demana/Waits/Kennedy a poor textbook?

I find the explanations really lacking and it's not very readable. Can some one recommend me a better textbook to learn from? My teacher swears by this textbook because he taught his Precalculus class with the same publisher.
Post edited by MrWheezy on

Replies to: AP Calculus Textbook

• noimaginationnoimagination Registered User Posts: 7,054 Senior Member
    We use the text by Larson/Edwards in my class. It has decent explanations and proofs, but the exercises are rather lacking.

You might want to check out Gilbert Strang's free text from MIT OCW: Free Online MIT Course Materials | Supplemental Resources | MIT OpenCourseWare
  • StimulusStimulus Registered User Posts: 292 Junior Member
    The most common textbooks I know of are Larson/Hostetler/Edwards and Stewart
  • Salve!Salve! Registered User Posts: 1,551 Senior Member
    Well, my school uses "Calculus and Analytic Geometry" by Thomas/Finney. It is a very old textbook, but I'm sure there is a newer edition. It's great though.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    I use the textbook referenced by the OP and have found it very good.
  • UHSdebaterUHSdebater Registered User Posts: 484 Member
    i thought larson/edwards was terrible. it's laid out nicely but many sample problems & proofs are worthless, especially in the later chapters. stewart is much better imo.

i remember having to self-teach myself simpson's rule for physics. larson had a one line sample problem that was helpless while i was able to learn the concept using stewart's sample.
  • MrWheezyMrWheezy Registered User Posts: 445 Member
    For those who use Stewart's book, what edition and version? I'm finding Calculus, Early Transcendals and Vectors, etc.

@silverturtle: Maybe it's my teacher :/ but the book is alright but there are some parts where I would like to cross reference it with another source :/

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)
  • noimaginationnoimagination Registered User Posts: 7,054 Senior Member
    i thought larson/edwards was terrible. it's laid out nicely but many sample problems & proofs are worthless, especially in the later chapters. stewart is much better imo.
    It really depends on what your goals are. I posted two recommendations above that fill very different niches. In my opinion, Larson/Hostetler/Edwards is a great book if you just want to do well on the AP exam. The explanations are fairly easy to follow and the problems are very plug-and-chug in the same vein as the test. However, those of us who are interested in the math for its own sake rather than just for the grade/score will probably find the problems dull and the proofs low on detail. Strang does a much better job in this regard and is far better for an in-depth self-study. Another free book came to my attention recently, and from a brief examination it looks like a good compromise between the two (and a very enjoyable read):

Elementary Calculus
  • UHSdebaterUHSdebater Registered User Posts: 484 Member
    In my opinion, Larson/Hostetler/Edwards is a great book if you just want to do well on the AP exam. The explanations are fairly easy to follow and the problems are very plug-and-chug in the same vein as the test. However, those of us who are interested in the math for its own sake rather than just for the grade/score will probably find the problems dull and the proofs low on detail.

i've never thought of it that way but that's a very good way to put it.
This discussion has been closed.