Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What calculator should I buy for this year?

1Sailor1Sailor Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited August 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
I'm going to be a Senior in High School and am taking AP Calculus BC and AP Biology. I was wondering what calculator you guys recommend for this year, and possibly to continue on to college?

I have used the TI-84 Plus Silver for the past 3 years but it broke this year accidentally when I dropped it while taking the ACT test :( So I've been looking mainly to either get the same calculator again or purchase the TI-89 Titanium for around $20 more.

Would the TI-89 Titanium be worth it? Would it help more in tests/college/SAT Lev II's than the TI-84?

Thanks!
Post edited by 1Sailor on

Replies to: What calculator should I buy for this year?

• jerrry4445jerrry4445 Registered User Posts: 2,741 Senior Member
    TI-89 is extremely good for calculus and it would help you in a lot of mathematical sciences and math classes. But you should know that in college, some math professors, including those who teaches calculus, only permit the use of scientific calculators.
  • noimaginationnoimagination Registered User Posts: 7,054 Senior Member
    I do NOT recommend a TI-89 because they are restricted on many exams.
  • fairy_dreamsfairy_dreams Registered User Posts: 3,377 Senior Member
    ^It's allowed on AP and SAT tests. And professors who don't allow the 89 are usually the ones that don't allow anything beyond a scientific calculator (if you're lucky...).
  • lemonelemone - Posts: 976 Member
    Casio and Ti-84
  • TheMathProfTheMathProf Registered User Posts: 810 Member
    I would honestly recommend that you buy whatever calculator your teacher will use for demonstrations in class.

If the teacher won't really demonstrate much in class, then I'd stick with the TI-84 that you're used to, personally. The benefits of a TI-89 on the exam are virtually nil.
  • cyberchondriaccyberchondriac Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    What's the difference between a TI 84 Plus and a TI 84 Plus Silver?
  • StimulusStimulus Registered User Posts: 292 Junior Member
    @cyberchondriac: more memory, more apps, etc.

@OP: I definitely would suggest TI-89 Titanium - it's a really good calculator that is designed for AP Calculus and beyond. The thing I like about it is its implementation of actual variables. With you experience with the TI-84, you would have noticed that every variable has a value of 0, unless u assign to it a number. Well, on the TI-89, they don't hold 0, they're ACTUAL variables. For example, if you type x+x, then your answer will actually be 2x. This kind of stuff comes in handy sometimes. Plus, it possesses the ability to calculate indefinite integrals, and derivatives in general, as opposed to the TI-84 which only calculates definite integrals and derivatives AT A POINT. So, I would definitely go with the TI-89.
  • lemonelemone - Posts: 976 Member
    Cyber, the Ti-84 silver edition has like a periodic table installed and some other applications.
  • Keasbey NightsKeasbey Nights Registered User Posts: 1,806 Senior Member
    The TI-89 is slow as hell. I would recommend the TI N-Spire CAS. It has all of the functionality of the 89 plus way more, and it is FAST. It's also allowed on the APs and SATs.
  • cyberchondriaccyberchondriac Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    ^thanks stimulus and lemone
  • federernadalfederernadal Registered User Posts: 347 Member
    I'd say Casio 9850GC Plus.There is a special menu and it has colors (very useful for graphs). Although ive never really used a TI, i dont think it has a menu and you really need to learn it.

It is really up to you.
This discussion has been closed.