Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Official AP US History Study Thread

Replies to: Official AP US History Study Thread

• 082349082349 Registered User Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    AP US History Study Guide

Hey everybody, this is the study guide that I made for my APUSH semester exam. This helped a lot of kids in my class get an A. I know that it's lacking on social history, but I think it's a pretty good course guide based on president. It starts from the French and Indian War and makes its way down. We've passed this point in class (we just finished the Gilded Age), so I need to update it (the guide ends at Johnson right now). I hope this helps everybody with specific events and dates. (:

Wow! Thanks! (:
  • jerrry4445jerrry4445 Registered User Posts: 2,741 Senior Member
    Keasbey Nights - I thank you too since you help make my studying for vocabulary for the first half of APUSH easier. I hope you finish the other half.
  • yodastreetyodastreet Registered User Posts: 428 Member
    I felt that knowing the early 1800s and the Populist era helped me a lot (got a 5 last year). Some of the essays were way out of whack though... I know that the majority of my class last year chose the exact same essays.
  • samedifferencesamedifference Registered User Posts: 316 Member
    I got a 5 last year on the test. I think the reason I did so well is because my teacher made us write 12 DBQs and 13 FRQs, which he graded and returned to us. Here is the site with the DBQs he used (all old DBQs):

DBQ's Since 1983 (Mr. Gonzalez AP U.S. History)

I recommend that if you can, write these and get them graded by your APUSH teacher.

I also used histnotes.com quite a lot, but that's only helpful if you're using the Brinkley book. Good luck all!
  • WannaBYalieWannaBYalie Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    I really like the layout of your teacher's site, samedifference. But oh my god, he plans and hosts a trip to Europe and the Eastern US YEARLY! None of the teachers at my school even have a single trip. That's both astonishing and super cool. Do a lot of people go on them? I would think it would be really expensive for most students.
  • 082349082349 Registered User Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    Wow, that's pretty cool. In my former school, there were and still are (I think so!) trips to the UK every year.

Thanks samedifference for the recommendation! (:
    That's cool! I wish my school had things like that, although my parents would never let me go :|
  • IMaGeckoIMaGecko Registered User Posts: 370 Member
    OMG, we are SO behind. We haven't even started the Antebellum/Civil War yet. My teacher had swine flu and missed so much school.
    Ugh, it's so bad :( We're not going to finish in time.
    That why you self-study the remaining chapters if you want a 5 (or a 3 or 4 depending on what score you want). The important thing to know is how to write those AP essays.
    Hopefully you'll have some spare time before the test to independently study what your teacher didn't have time to cover :(
  • IMaGeckoIMaGecko Registered User Posts: 370 Member
    Yeah. We're technically going to "finish" (she's rushing through everything), but I don't know how much I'm going to retain.

Also, this is her first year of teaching. She hasn't really explain to us very well the correct format of writing DBQs/Essays. We've written a couple of them, but honestly, she's a pretty easy grader. Does anyone know of a website, or anything, which explains the preferred format of APUSH essays?
  • BassirBassir Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    Anyone use the APUSH cram packet?

Official AP US Cram Packet

Seems useful, I'd like to know if anyone used it before for the AP exam.
  • getacargetacar Registered User Posts: 328 Member
    Is there a really good study book? I saw someone mention AMSCO earlier in the thread, but I read on Amazon that it does not contain the answers for the practice stuff.
  • BassirBassir Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    The answers are online: Amsco Answer Key
    Bump 10 char
This discussion has been closed.