Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Is AP Physics hard?

rinyslinerinysline Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
edited August 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
I am taking AP physics next year and am very worried. Any tips for the biginners?
Post edited by rinysline on

Replies to: Is AP Physics hard?

• HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,720 Senior Member
    Like anything else, IF you have a good teacher & keep up, it should be an interesting class. My son enjoyed it & had an awesome teacher who did 60+ lab experiments & made the subject come alive for everyone. Most of his class got 5s on the AP test & a few got 4s. It's great for folks who love & are good at math.
  • RamJagRamJag Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    I haven't taken AP physics, but I have taken a college level physics class. Physics is an intresting subject, though, regardless of what class it is; I found myself doing problems to boost my confidence, at times. If you're refering to the physics B class, it shouldn't be too bad since there isn't any calc in it (though I don't know since I've never taken it). The C class is not to bad either...kinda like AP Calc--just practice to stay on top of things and you should be fine.
  • loganrloganr Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    its really easy if u have a prior interest
  • chemphychemphy Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    i agree with HImom. it actually depends on the teacher who teaches it and i also agree with loganr...it also depends on ur interest in physics.
  • RemmusRemmus Registered User Posts: 31 New Member
    Is there any prerequisites one should have before taking AP Physics?
  • zh0uzh0u Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    yes, if you are a biginner its (AP PHYSICS) will may have be a tad bit difficult.
  • loganrloganr Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    in our school we have to take physics honors then AP
  • peck191peck191 Registered User Posts: 531 Member
    Just take it, do the problem sets, and be glad your school even offers AP physics :D
  • rinyslinerinysline Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    k thanx for all the info
  • bing121086bing121086 Registered User Posts: 1,097 Senior Member
    There are no prerequisites to AP Physics--I hadn't even taken freshman physical science when I took it last year. I have to say though it was one of my least favorite classes--the teacher was nice (a little boring) and I liked the people in the class. First semester is much better than second though. Kinematics (If you drop a ball off a cliff, after three seconds, how fast is it going? What is the momentum of a ball rotated at the end of a string...?) and the like are easier and more interesting than thermodynamics, light, waves, and (ugh) electricity.

AP Physics can definitely be done, but it helps if you like physics.
  • m1ch3113m1ch3113 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    my school has prerequisites. in order to take ap physics, we must have taken ap calculus in previous year or on concurrent year. Most people I know did not have difficult time passing.. getting "5" is doable.
  • IHATESATIHATESAT Registered User Posts: 790 Member
    BUMP... I was wondering the same about AP Physics B
  • lostinwildlostinwild Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    UGH. it most definitely depends on the teacher you get for AP Physics B.
    I'm taking AP Physics B right now and it's a terribly hard class. This is mainly due to my teacher, who, although very smart, doesn't know how to teach. Our class average for our last test was a 63, which tells you a lot since my school is a very academically-driven school.
  • blackhypeblackhype - Posts: 63 New Member
    3 year bump...
  • SaugusSaugus Registered User Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    9 month bump.
This discussion has been closed.