Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Chem without chem honors

iambenkiambenk Registered User Posts: 410 Junior Member
edited February 2010 in AP Tests Preparation
Bad idea?...
Post edited by iambenk on

Replies to: AP Chem without chem honors

• amarkovamarkov Registered User Posts: 2,288 Senior Member
    If you don't already know basic chemistry, you almost certainly will not do well in AP Chem.
  • somead896somead896 Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    I personally am taking the class with no prior chemistry class and have the highest grade in the class. But I think that my teacher was aware of the fact several of the kids were in my position so we spent a little more time on the basics.
  • sd6sd6 Registered User Posts: 1,251 Senior Member
    Amarkov, I strongly, STRONGLY, disagree with you. I am taking AP Chemistry this year with no prior knowledge of anything chemical and I am doing well. In fact, those in my class that took chem honors last year aren't doing as well because of overconfidence, etc.
  • jerrry4445jerrry4445 Registered User Posts: 2,741 Senior Member
    took AP Chem sophomore year and didn't take any regular or honors chem before that year. Have the highest grade and receive a 5. Besides, basics are already covered in the ap textbook in the first few chapters.
  • iambenkiambenk Registered User Posts: 410 Junior Member
    Thanks for all the response! Keep this in mine, I also want to take AP Bio, AP lang, AP Euro, and Honors Adv. Functions and Trig and Honors spanish IV. Would this impact this?
  • jerrry4445jerrry4445 Registered User Posts: 2,741 Senior Member
    If you think you can handle it, you shouldn't worry. Just hope that you can remember the many concepts and information in prep for the AP exams.
  • DMOCDMOC Registered User Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    You'll be fine, chem honors wasn't much help to me since I forgot a lot because of the gap year between my taking the two courses.
This discussion has been closed.