right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Art Portfolio

kanika488kanika488 0 replies1 threads New Member
Hey guys!
I am a 12th grade student in India. I recently decided that I want to pursue a major in architecture. I want to apply ED to Cornell. I rank at the top of my class in school, have a good SAT score and have adequate extra-curricular activities too. However, since I do not have art as a subject in school, I do not have a portfolio of any sort. The application deadline is in 3 months from now.
I know how to sketch well, but I haven't maintained a sketchbook. Do you have any suggestions regarding how I can get my portfolio completed in time?

Also, I would really appreciate it if you could show me some examples of a portfolio that got accepted into Cornell.

Thank you!
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Art Portfolio

• momrathmomrath 6028 replies39 threads Senior Member
    @kanika488 Cornell's Bachelor OF Architecture program is very selective (even more so than the university as a whole) and the portfolio weighs heavily in admissions. The school of architecture website lays out portfolio requirements, which are extensive.

The portfolio should demonstrate creativity, design presentation and a facility with several media, especially drawing. It does not have to include examples of architecture. You may be able to put together a reasonable portfolio in the next few months, but without recent art classes I think it will be difficult.

You might consider some BArch programs that do not require a portfolio (though in some cases the portfolio is recommended). For example: Auburn, UArizona, Cal Tech SLO, IIT, Penn State, Notre Dame.

You might also consider getting a Bachelor of Science or Art IN architecture, followed by a Master of Architecture. Some BS/BA programs require a portfolio, but most do not. The combination of the BS/BA + MArch is common in the US and Canada. A few examples of strong programs are WUSTL, Northeastern, UVA, UMich, UCincinnati. There are many others. (You'll need to check the portfolio requirements.)

You can be admitted to an MArch program with a BS/BA in architecture -- in art, in design, or anything else, really -- as long as you fulfill the MArch admissions requirements. Requirements vary but usually include some level of art studio, art history, calculus, physics plus a portfolio.
    · Reply · Share
  • CCEdit_SurajCCEdit_Suraj 116 replies183 threads Editor
    edited August 3
    @kanika488 College Confidential covered this topic in an article that may help answer your question. This may not directly influence your stats but you can cultivate some understanding. Read more here: https://insights.collegeconfidential.com/applying-creative-arts-get-scoop-auditions-portfolios
    edited August 3
    · Reply · Share