Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Need more information about ASU

MohannadiMohannadi Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited January 2011 in Arizona State University
Hi everyone,

I'm international student and I applied in ASU in two majors. The First one is Mechanical engineering, B.S.E at Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering and, the second one is Mechanical Engineering Technology B.S at College of Technology and Innovation.

actually I have a lot of questions in my mind and, I really need some one to answered and advised. I hope I will fine that here.

First, What is the contrast between B.S and B.S.E ?

Second, I known that 2.0 GPA is the minimum rate to keep me safe in the university. Is it right ?

Third, Is the GPA is calculated by F,D,C,B and A only or their are D+,C+ and B+ ?

Finally, What are the minimum credits could taken in a term ?
Post edited by Mohannadi on

Replies to: Need more information about ASU

• oxolojooxolojo Registered User Posts: 460 Member
    A B.S. (Bachelor of Science) and a B.S.E. (Bachelor of Science in Engineering) are only slightly different. It really depends on what type of job you want to get after graduation. Some will only hire students with "engineering" degrees while others are more lax. Ultimately, they have the same standing; they're both 4 year college degrees. I will say that the Engineering degree might require slightly more work to obtain.

To be in "Good Academic Standing," yes, a 2.0 is all you need. The requirements change based on how many credit hours you are/have taking/taken.
    http://catalog.asu.edu/retention_standing

ASU GPA is your total GPA in classes only taken at ASU. If you have college credit by any other means (CC credit or AP credit, etc.) it is not figured into your ASU GPA. Some classes DO include pluses, it depends on your professor. For instance, this semester I got one A+ which is weighted as a 4.5 in your semester GPA but in your ASU GPA it only counts as a 4.0. However, a C+ (which I also received this semester...hah) will remain to be weighted as a 2.5, EVEN IN YOUR ASU GPA. This is way nice, because that plus actually kept me on the Dean's list.
    A+ = 4.5
    A = 4.0
    B+ = 3.5
    B = 3.0
    C+ = 2.5
    C = 2.0
    You do not earn class credit for anything below a C. You will receive the letter grade, but you did not "pass" the class, and therefore no credit is awarded.

The minimum amount of credits taken in one semester to be considered a full-time student is 12. The University caps a semester credit amount at 18, but you can petition to take more. Any amount of credits less than 12 is considered a part-time student.
  • bchan1bchan1 Registered User Posts: 793 Member
    ^^^^^
    Your numeric conversion does not account for the -'s. Unfortunately, there are -'s, not just +'s to be tallied up.

I cannot find a precise conversion chart on the ASU website (nice calculators though, perhaps I just didn't look long and hard enough) but I think the full picture is more like this:

A+ = 4.33 (if the extra points are counted in, might be a 4.0)
    A = 4.0
    A- = 3.67
    B+ = 3.33
    B = 3.0
    B- = 2.67
    C+ = 2.33
    C = 2.0
    C- = 1.67

Lived with this grading scale in high school too. Would have been so much nicer without those -'s !
  • oxolojooxolojo Registered User Posts: 460 Member
    See, I didn't know how -'s worked, I haven't received one. But yeah, that makes sense with the numbers since I was just looking at my unofficial transcript. They multiply each by the amount of credits the class is worth and then divide it by your total amount of credits to get your GPA.
This discussion has been closed.