Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How does Barrett compare?

viking65viking65 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
edited February 2013 in Arizona State University
I am wondering how Barrett would compare to USC or a UC in terms of overall experience, quality of classes etc. I am a NM finalist and am pretty confident that I will be accepted to these three schools. I applied to a few UCs.

Barrett seems attractive as I would get a full tuition waiver due to NMF standing. So from a cost point of view it would be significantly less than USC and even a UC. However, I really have not heard much about Barrett other than what I have read on their website. Nobody in my school seems to know about it.

So I am wondering how recognized is it and how does it compare?
Post edited by viking65 on

Replies to: How does Barrett compare?

• viking65viking65 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    Anyone.....
  • IceejmhIceejmh Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    weird... usc is my top school and I was recently accepted to Barrett as well. Are you in state? I live a couple minutes from ASU, so I have been on campus probably over 100 times and I have toured both Barrett and USC. I must say (although I am on the outside looking in)... Barrett does not quite compare. Everyone I know got accepted to Barrett, so it is not super competitive. Although you do get first choice for classes and a nice dorm, I just don't know.... I don't want to sway your decision, but I am head-over-heels in love with USC and I dislike Barrett. I only really applied because I am in state.
  • FlagMomFlagMom Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    We're very happy to have our son at Barrett. That being said, USC certainly will have more name recognition.
  • viking65viking65 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    I am out of state from California. I am NMSF so if I get into Barrett I will get the full tuition waiver which makes it very attractive. I want to do Engineering, but am not sure how that would work with being in Barrett. Would I also have to write the honors thesis and do the human event course? It seems like a lot of extra work on top of engineering classes. However, maybe I am not clear on how it all works so I should get clarification.

USC is actually my dream school. I've visited the campus and like the program, the city and think I would do well there. I am also eligible for a half tuition scholarship, but even with that USC will cost me almost $40K per year vs. $14K at Barrett.

But if the Barrett experience is comparable to USC I would certainly consider it. I just have not been able to find much info or reviews about Barrett and not many people I talk to even recognize it.
  • IceejmhIceejmh Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    People seem to like Barrett. Honestly, the "Barrett experience" probably isn't much different from the "ASU experience". So, maybe try researching ASU as well?
  • Christian2Christian2 Registered User Posts: 864 Member
    viking65, my son was a NMF from California attended Barrett for four years and just graduated last year. He had a very good experience at Barrett. He did not apply to USC but was admitted into UCB and several other top schools but decided to attend Barrett due to the huge cost difference. He was a business Supply Chain Management Major. He found Summer internships through ASU's Career Services all three summers from Freshman thru Junior years. He found his permanent job very early in his Senior year and is now working in an East Coast company. College is what you make of it. Whether Barrett, USC, or UCs, they will all give you good educational opportunities. Your effort will dictate how much you will gain from it.
  • bchan1bchan1 Registered User Posts: 793 Member
    I would suggest researching job placement/salaries at both schools (maybe taking some consideration that CA salaries will be higher than AZ and many USC kids may try to stay in CA???) then take your yearly cost difference into account and see what the return on investment is likely to be for both schools. Then visit, overnight, at both schools if at all possible. No matter what other people tell you about liking/disliking a school all that really matters is how you feel about it.
  • jokahugojokahugo Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    Here's my take from a parents perspective:
    My D has been accepted at both ASU/Barrett and USC. She plans to pursue an advanced degree (MD or PhD - unsure which at this point) after her undergraduate degree (i.e. lots more years of school). We have visited both campuses. Of course USC is her dream school and has lots more prestige and name recognition. However, USC would mean she would have to take out loans and live on a shoestring budget (as would we). We can afford to send her to ASU/Barrett without loans and she would still have the money to afford other things she would like to experience in college (travel abroad being a big one). We were very impressed with all that Barrett has to offer her and feel she can get a quality education and college experience. For us, incurring no debt while an undergraduate just makes so much more sense for the same basic education. I agree with the other parent - College is what you make of it.
This discussion has been closed.