Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

what are my chances anyone?

dvl2014dvl2014 - Posts: 276 Junior Member
edited December 2013 in Arizona State University
thinking bout nursing

So here is my profile:
Race/Ethnicity: Asian (but born in america)
GPA(Unweighted): 2.45 (BUT I do a lot of work im a cashier at moms store I work 34 hours a week . every week of the year since freshman year over school year and 74 hours a week every week suring summer over the past 4 years)
Essay: Told by 6 teacher that its incredible
Rank: not sure but is positive that it is top half out of about 600 students
SAT I
Critical Reading: 420
Math: 590
Writing: 440
(From Freshman to sophomore year my gpa has been rising every quarter)

Job/Work Experience:
works 2 hours a school day and 12 hours saturdays and sundays everyday at a convience store my mom owns
Recs:
from my history teacher who use to be a guidance councelor and my english teacher who went to harvard.
im planning to retake the SAT soon.
Post edited by dvl2014 on

Replies to: what are my chances anyone?

• STEMFamilySTEMFamily Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    ASU has very objective measures for admittance based on test scores, class rank, or GPA in core classes as defined by the Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR). Note that you must meet ONE of these requirements, not all of them. They also differ by whether you are an Arizona resident or not; non-residents have slightly higher test score requirements if one of the other measures is not met. Recommendations/work experience are not considered unless you are asking for an individual student review. Here is the link to the admissions requirements page:

https://students.asu.edu/freshman/requirements

Some degrees programs have higher requirements but it doesn't look like nursing is one of those:

https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/majorinfo/ASU00/NUNURDBSN/undergrad/false

You should also be aware that the nursing programs are at the Downtown Campus so it will be a different experience than being on the main Tempe Campus. Depending on what you are looking for this may be good, bad or irrelevant, but it will definitely be different than what most people think of when Arizona State is mentioned. Spend some time on the ASU website.
  • Meow99Meow99 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    What are the chances being admitted to W.P. Carey School of Business for Accounting via the "Portfolio Admission"? I am in state, and just finishing my ABUS-GR with a GPA of 3.7 from a local CC that has a pathway agreement with ASU. I have not taken the ACT - and I don't want to if I don't have to. I am a non-traditional student with over 25 years in the accounting field. What do you think?
  • WordworkerWordworker Registered User Posts: 869 Member
    Dvl,

You need to spend more time on schoolwork and less at the convenience store. Your grades and test scores suggest that you need to learn more before you apply to school. Just taking an SAT prep class won't help if the problem is a lack of knowledge.

Nursing programs are very competitive and require lots of skills and knowledge. You need to start now.
  • SeabassWellsSeabassWells Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    For all prospective students and parents (and anyone, current students included, who can lend advice) --- Here's a Class of 2018 ASU Facebook page !!!!!!

[url]https://www.****/groups/Class.of.2018.ASU/[/url]

Get ready..... New Freshman are coming soon !!!
  • playoffplayoff Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    I recommend going to a community college your first year for general requirements, then transfer to ASU with a solid grade. If you aren't going business, med, or any of the STEM fields (and all which require freshmen major requirements), I would most definitely attend a cc first. Much cheaper, and no admission stress.
This discussion has been closed.