Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Arizona State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

2»

Replies to: Arizona State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

• EnglishmanEnglishman Registered User Posts: 391 Member
    Nothing against ASU, you will earn more after undergrad business major in CA than AZ, I work in AZ and recruit for my employer in AZ and the western states.

Truth is we have issues in AZ, ASU like all State Universities have their own foibles and best bits, some have more or less of each. My current feeling and that's just my impression with college age kids, is there is a bias based on perception of all state colleges especially in AZ. I have staff undergrads from ASU and elsewhere, nothing against any of them, but where you go to college, what you do there and how you come prepared to an employer is often based on biases and norms and impressions, you have to learn to live with those.

There has been some bone-headed legislature bills in AZ recently SB1062 and SB1070 to name but two, my impression from what my peers at my employer elsewhere in the country are this, 'Whats in the water in AZ' and do we want to continue to recruit there!. We currently recruit at ASU and UofA in AZ, a few in Ca, namely Cal, UCLA, USC and in Illinois at UofC and Northwestern and at BU and Northeastern, most of our hires are now in CA or ILL, not from ASU. I do NOT promote hires from ASU currently.
  • JCCsMomJCCsMom Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    Englishman - you claim to teach at WP Carey in another post yet you consistently speak negatively about ASU. I really think you are giving rather biased information about ASU that is not very helpful to many.
    edited March 2014
    I do teach as an adjunct at ASU and I do think its wise for all students and family to have enough facts and knowledge to make a wise and informed choice for college, where they spend 4 years or more of their life and where they will graduate from, it matters ALOT and obviously I live in Tempe, AZ.

Based on my knowledge, so yes, that is biased, based on my experiences and knowledge.
  • STEMFamilySTEMFamily Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Based on my knowledge, so yes, that is biased, based on my experiences and knowledge

Biased indeed! Sounds like you have taken it upon yourself to be a one-man crusade against ASU students regardless of their qualifications. Talk about irrational!

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704554104575435563989873060
    edited March 2014
    There has been some bone-headed legislature bills in AZ recently SB1062 and SB1070 to name but two, my impression from what my peers at my employer elsewhere in the country are this, 'Whats in the water in AZ' and do we want to continue to recruit there!. We currently recruit at ASU and UofA in AZ, a few in Ca, namely Cal, UCLA, USC and in Illinois at UofC and Northwestern and at BU and Northeastern, most of our hires are now in CA or ILL, not from ASU. I do NOT promote hires from ASU currently.

@Englishman, based on your own reasoning: Considering all the financial woes that the California state government has incurred, why would you ever recruit business students from California?!
    edited March 2014
    Good pointe @STEM, we recruit at CAL, UCLA &USC for Business/Finance majors, not sure if they are better, thats just the current thinking and hasn't changed, I don't even strongly promote UofA, but I could, but we don't recruit at ASU either.
    But we hire for positions in Tempe/Scottsdale & LA/San Diego from all schools we recruit from.

Like you said the legislature don't make the state or who lives there, but neither do I think students studying in CA should carry any weight from the State's current (though much better) fiscal woes!.

Not sure if 6.41pm is warranted?, No need to be like that, but no matter, lets keep it nice and pleasant, but I, like you will continue to offer advise and perspective where sought. We should consider all perspectives good and bad, yours from OOS and mine from Tempe and being on campus 2-3 times per week working with said students, lets allow the guests to decide.
    edited March 2014
    @Englishman I guess you missed my sarcasm on the hiring of California business/finance students. Of course it would be ridiculous to judge them based on the fiscal performance of their State government. That is in fact my point...
    Apologies, I missed the sarcasm :-/
2»
This discussion has been closed.