Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Arizona State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

mito818mito818 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
i recently was admitted to this school for economics, but it wasn't for the W.P carey business school. it was for the college of liberal arts and sciences. what exactly is the college of liberal arts and sciences? should i go there ? is it bad? im trying to go to grad school after, any help would be amazing as i have been offered acceptance to other schools

Replies to: Arizona State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,700 Senior Member
    It is the division where liberal arts and sciences majors are in:
    http://clas.asu.edu/current-students/academic-programs/majors
  • mito818mito818 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    @ucbalumnus im aware of that, im asking how is it diffrent from W.P carey
    You major in economics or some other liberal arts/science major instead of business.
    so does that mean i would be getting a liberal arts degree? is that something that is bad in the business world?
    Yes. However, plenty of liberal arts majors gain employment in businesses (economics is often seen as an alternative business major by both students and employers).
    ive been accepted to
    cal state la for business administration
    cal state northridge for communication
    humboldt for business admin
    and cal poly pomona for business admin too

in your opinion which would be the best school to go to?
  • EnglishmanEnglishman Registered User Posts: 391 Member
    Stay In-State for your undergraduate at Cal State, do well , get into a good MBA program that's the best route. ASU is not really competitive for undergrad Econ, in business you NEED an MBA, find the best route for you to get one and for me, that's In-State Undergrad and an MBA from a good school, say East Coast (based on your being in Cal) either BU, Babson or NYU or the like.
  • JCCsMomJCCsMom Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    Did you apply to ASU WP Carey, but instead got offered Economics in LAS? Is economics something you want to study, or are you primarily interested in business administration? There is an economics major in WP Carey as well, but admissions are more competitive to get into WP Carey
    @englishman i am definitely going for an MBA after i graduate, but economics seems like something i would be more interested in. And it to be honest cal state LA's campus is terrible, its in the heart of east los angeles. besides wouldnt it be seen better by employers if i have a degree in econ from asu? versus a ba from cal state la??

@jccsmom yeah i didnt get in for WP carey
  • JCCsMomJCCsMom Registered User Posts: 240 Junior Member
    ASU is very well recruited by major companies, so you would have that advantage in addition to the well-known name.
    @jccsmom thank you thats what i have heard, and i know its way more expensive since im out of state, but my parents are paying for everything so its not a problem. do you think ASU is the best choice out of all the schools ive been accepted to?
    Are they the only schools you have been accepted to?, it doesn't really matter what your undergrad is for Business school, so Econ is good, but Accounting/Finance/Comms or other is OK. Go where you think you'll be happiest and fit in the best, if that's OOS Arizona, fine but IN-State is OK, UC's are better I guess than CSU, but look at University of Arizona (UofA), ALOT of Cal students (about 10% 0f ALL students 4000+) attend UofA, the Eller School Econ is V Good, I did Ex-ed there and W.P.Carey and both were good. Have you visited Tempe?
    @englishman well i also got into cal maritime for business and now im just waiting on cal poly pomona with there answer for business as well, ive been to tempe before and it seems like it would be pretty fun. i just want to go somewhere were if i dont end up going to get my mba i will make the most amount of money out of college
    To your last point, you'll make most money out of college being employed in CA not AZ, so if money/salary is a key driver, I suggest you stay inState CA and do college, CA employers will value CA Schools above ASU.
    edited March 2014
    @englishmann

that makes no sense
    i have friends who went to universities all over the united state and they are all employed and making great money

i just saw your posts in the SB1062-Oh dear Arizona! thread
    why are you so against ASU?
This discussion has been closed.