Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to get out of meal plan?

olivia28olivia28 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
I will be a transfer student and a junior for fall 2014. Although I'll be living on the Downtown Campus, I'd rather buy my own groceries instead of having a meal plan. But when I signed up for housing, you had to pick one, so I did the $900/semester one. I feel like I won't even use that, do you know how I can get out of it?

Replies to: How to get out of meal plan?

• celesterobertscelesteroberts Registered User Posts: 2,332 Senior Member
    According to the dining website, even if you are an upper div student, if you live on campus in a traditional residence hall, you must purchase some meal plan. If you are in an on-campus apt, you are not required to purchase a plan. You already have the cheapest plan and it's all M&G $$, so not much more you can do if you are in a dorm. You can use the $$ at Taylor Marketplace, which has some grocery items, but I understand their prices are high.
  • cjlawsoncjlawson Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    they aren't allowed to force you to buy the meal plan, as long as you talk to financial services you should be able to get out of it.
  • TigerCC2014TigerCC2014 Registered User Posts: 460 Member
    They absolutely can require it.
  • MediumWellMediumWell Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Usually they make you buy a meal plan if you're living on campus, but you could get away with it if you can get a doctor's note that says you have certain allergies that make it impossible for you to dine at the campus cafeteria. Or if you're Vegan/Vegetarian, they might let you get away with it. But I'd just find someone to talk to and make sure you have a good reason/story on why.
This discussion has been closed.