Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Barrett Advising?

MomMe32MomMe32 Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
S & I just visited ASU/Barrett. Overall, we really liked the people and the campus.

My one concern/question is about the departmental advisors. The math advisor we ended up seeing on our visit was in the religion dept and didn't teach math classes. When I asked if we could speak w an advisor from the dept, I was told that the advisors know all the dept classes well and it doesn't matter what dept they are in. Frankly, I thought this was a bit strange. When we have contacted other schools about math or other related subjects, we spoke to someone from the corresponding dept.

I understand that a freshman advisor doesn't necessarily have to be from a student's intended major to help the student figure out classes, but we were asking about a focus in math in relation to other majors and upper div math - not so much what 1st yr math course to take given these HS math classes or AP class taken.

I am hoping someone who has a student at Barrett or a Barrett student could tell me more about how advising works at ASU/Barrett. TIA for any info you are willing to provide!

Replies to: Barrett Advising?

• STEMFamilySTEMFamily Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    I have a daughter who is a current sophomore CS student in Barrett. The CS department has a group of advisors that, from what my daughter has told me, are not CS faculty. I have seen this at other state schools as well where they have full-time advisors instead of having faculty do the advising. The ones who have advised D do know the flow chart dependencies very well and are very adept at manipulating it based on a student's current standing and AP credits. And for CS, the first 2-3 years are pretty full just with requirements even with AP credits. However, I would guess that the advisors do not know the subject well enough to advise upper division students for that students' particular interests and career goals. My D has done research with a professor for a couple of semesters now and I know she has had more in-depth conversations with him about her future plans and what electives she should eventually take. So I think the answer is your S will need to be proactive and seek out his math professors to talk to them.

There is a poster who has a sophomore daughter who is a math major and with whom I have corresponded several times. I will PM you with her user name and I am sure she would be happy to tell you about her D's experience in the math department.
This discussion has been closed.