Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are Chinese classes like at ASU?

starchick21starchick21 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
Hey guys! I'm a freshman at ASU, and I just finished my finals last week I'm a history major, and one of my requirements states that I have to complete a foreign language through the 202 level. I've been interested in Mandarin Chinese for quite a while now, so I've signed up to take 101 next semester (the professor's name is Robbins). I've been doing some research on the language, so I know about tones, pinyin, characters, etc. I know it's going to be a hard language, but I'm really committed to learning it. For any of you who have firsthand experience: what else can I expect in my Chinese studies? Is it really as difficult as everyone says it is? For the record, I have no experience with Asian languages. English is my first language, but I also speak a little Arabic (my parents' native language) and some Spanish (studied it all 4 years of high school).

Replies to: What are Chinese classes like at ASU?

• BeaudreauBeaudreau Registered User Posts: 1,115 Senior Member
    @starchick21 I don't know about Mandarin at ASU, but all three of my sons took or are taking Mandarin in high school. It's a difficult, but not impossible language for people not exposed to it at home. On the plus side, Mandarin fluency will really open doors for graduate studies and jobs.
  • starchick21starchick21 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Thanks! I'm planning on going to med school, so I imagine fluency as a doctor would be very prized :)
This discussion has been closed.