Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Scholarship Confusion

wwsjl23wwsjl23 Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
I just got accepted to ASU at Tempe for Biomedical Engineering. I got a letter saying congrats, we are pleased to offer you the President scholarship in the amount of $13,000.

I'm a national merit semifinalist and should be a finalist when the time comes. Does this stack with the big national merit scholarship? Also, is the President scholarship a one time thing or is it renewable every year?

Replies to: Scholarship Confusion

• BeaudreauBeaudreau Registered User Posts: 1,115 Senior Member
    @wwsjl23 $13,000 per year. To be a NM finalist, you basically just have to fill out the paperwork. To get the full President's scholarship, you will need to designate ASU for NMF as the school you will attend. I don't believe there is any more money coming, but I could be wrong.
  • wwsjl23wwsjl23 Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    So the NMF scholarship is full tuition, but does this $13k add on top of this to pay for travel and housing and all or are scholarships restricted to just tuition?
    As far as I know, it offsets your total cost of attendance. My so was a NMF last year and was offered the $13,000 Presidential Scholarship. This left approximately $11,000 for us to pay.

Have you visited yet? Have you applied to Barrett Honors College? Are you thinking about Medical School after graduation?
    I don't have the money to visit really, and I'm applying to Barrett as I speak. I am thinking about med school after graduation.

So if total cost of attendance is around 40k, 25k being tuition, and NMF scholarship is full tuition + the 13K Presidential, I'm left with just a few thousand a year...? This seems a little too good to be true
    @wwsjl23 I think that you are double counting. As a NMF, you should qualify for the Presidential scholarship and in-state tuition. The Presidential scholarship is your NMF award. Try the scholarship calculator. Enter your state and make sure to check National Scholar. https://scholarships.asu.edu/estimator (Now there may be other awards that I am unaware of.

I believe that they will pay to fly you out for an overnight (Student Experience Day) after you are accepted to Barrett. http://barretthonors.asu.edu/admissions/national-scholars/ (Click on the "National Merit Finalists" bar). Also, the video is pretty cool. The student is speaking from one of the Barrett Dorm balconies.

I asked about med school, because pre-med is very popular with Barrett students, who often go on to the best med-schools in the country. http://barretthonors.asu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Graduates_2013_2014_vers2.pdf Barrett partners directly with the Arizona Mayo Clinic/Hospital for student internships/research/etc.. U of A opened a med school in Phoenix a couple of years ago and Mayo plans to do the same in a year or two.
  • STEMFamilySTEMFamily Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    ^ This is not my understanding. As a NMF you qualify for the National Scholars Award which is
    Nonresident freshman tuition and mandatory student and academic college fees
    from the ASU website. This is what comes up on their scholarship estimator if you check the box that you are a National Scholar. Otherwise, the Presidential Scholarship is what is indicated.

Until there is confirmation of NMF and first choice, you are awarded the Presidential Scholarship of $13000. Once you have ASU as First Choice (which also confirms your Finalist status), then they bump you up to the National Scholars Award.

Those fees really add up so this is significant. It also covers the extra $1000 Barrett tuition.

I do agree, however, that the National Scholars Award does NOT stack with the Presidential Scholarship. And it will still leave you an estimated $11,700 in costs as @Beaudreau said.
    Okay, thanks for clearing it up for me!
This discussion has been closed.