Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Fraternities

slomsdalenslomsdalen Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
I am thinking about coming to ASU next year, and will definitely be rushing. I am going to be in Barret, so I was wondering what fraternities are there at ASU that I should rush and can still keep my GPA high at the same time. Or just any advice or information about fraternities at ASU would be appreciated.

Replies to: Fraternities

• GraniteLandGraniteLand Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    edited February 2015
    Since no one else has replied, I will offer you my two cents. I'm an ASU alum, but I graduated LONG ago (1992). I rushed the first semester of my freshman year, but was not in the honors program. ASU use to have two fraternity rows on campus (Alpha and Adelphi Drive) with lots of Greek houses. It was a vibrant party scene but nothing unlike what's on other colleges. Since my college days, ASU has kicked fraternities off campus and flattened or built over the two rows. The Greek system is not as centralized or as popular as it once was. If you are going to be part of Barrett, I don't see fraternities as an appealing option for you. Fraternities require a lot of time from pledges and one of Barrett's strengths is creating a community of like minded students who are serious about their studies. Barrett houses students with similar majors together (Business, Sciences, etc...) and tries to foster a unique learning community. If you rush a fraternity, you will most likely feel like you're living in two very different worlds and will probably feel torn about where to spend your time. Let's be honest, fraternities really only offer social opportunities that will hinder your studies. Sure they do good things too, but if you are serious about your academics and serious about getting and taking advantage of the Barrett experience, I don't see how you can fit the Greek life into your plans. That said, if your heart is really set on rushing, I would suggest you do it your 2nd year at ASU. Immerse yourself into the Barrett experience your Freshman year and if you still feel the desire or need to rush a fraternity after a year at Barrett, then do it your sophomore year.

Some reading for you:

http://www.statepress.com/2014/09/10/asu-fraternity-life-an-endangered-tradition/
This discussion has been closed.