Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Arizona State Vs. Oregon State - Construction Engineering Vs. Construction Engineering Management

antman14antman14 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on Arizona State's Construction Engineering program and/or Oregon State's Construction Engineering Management program. For starters, I already went to ASU and graduated with a B.S. in Tech Entrepreneurship and Management. I absolutely loved ASU and I loved the TEM program, however, I want to take a different route and follow something that I am more passionate about, which is building and design, and the only way I can do that is by getting my second B.S. degree. That being said, I am torn between these two universities. I had an excellent experience at ASU, but I have an itch to attend a different university with a completely different environment. I know I would like OSU because I love the rain, hiking, being outdoors and the small college town environment, but I also know I would like going back to ASU because I liked living there so much before. So I guess it comes down to which school has the better program and which school will provide me with more job opportunities. It may not even matter, and if it doesn't I will most likely go to Oregon State to experience something new, but the last thing I want to do is sacrifice job/networking opportunities for an experience. Through my research I have noticed the ConE and CEM programs at these two schools are not discussed or compared much, so I am having a hard time finding enough information to make a decision. If anyone could help me out and guide me to making a decision, that would be great! Any information would help. Thanks for your time.

Replies to: Arizona State Vs. Oregon State - Construction Engineering Vs. Construction Engineering Management

• STEMFamilySTEMFamily Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    I don't think you are going to be sacrificing anything to go to one vs. the other as far as quality of the program. The only thing would be that the job hunt might be a little easier if you go to school in the area you are planning to get a job because a lot of companies recruit more heavily or only locally. You can always make inquiries to apply wherever you want, just might take a little more effort.

Have you looked at the course requirements for one vs the other? Does one have more or less of a management emphasis than the other? Will previous courses you've taken count at one more than the other so that the time to the degree would be less?

I haven't looked at the Oregon State degree, but the ASU Construction engineering degree states
    The degree prepares students who wish to gain a professional engineering license while working at the interface of design and construction; it is desirable to those students who are interested in a career emphasizing construction of infrastructure.

Is a professional license something you want? If so, does the Oregon State program prepare you for that?
This discussion has been closed.