Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Health Sciences (Pre-Professional) Major at ASU? Is Health Science a good major?

LovenetcLovenetc Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
When I began applying for ASU, I wanted to be Pre-Med. I know their usually isn't an actual major called "Pre-Med", but rather, you can major in what you would like and take the required pre-reqs, or major in good fields like Biology, Chemistry, etc.

This is the description on ASU:
The BS in health sciences is designed to provide the academic knowledge and skills to allow students to move directly into a range of employment opportunities within the health field or continue their education in discipline-specific programs. The pre professional program is designed for students planning to enter medical, dental, osteopathic, physical therapy, veterinary, pharmacy and similar professional schools. In addition to a comprehensive core of basic science courses, the concentration is unique in that it will provide a solid base in ethics; communication; the evaluation of research (the cornerstone of evidence-based practice); and healthy lifestyles (the foundation of health promotion and chronic disease risk reduction avenues of health care), including the role of complementary and alternative care within the U.S. health care system. Students will also have the ability to incorporate electives that contribute to their knowledge of and sensitivity to the needs of populations impacted by health disparities.

So from my understanding, it seems like more of a major for the healthcare system itself, and maybe not necessarily for becoming a doctor. At first, I had interpreted it as a pre-med option before I read more about pre med studies in college.

I'm stuck right now even deciding if I want to attend med school. I have interest in anesthesiology and becoming a pediatrician, and I thought about becoming a dentist.

However, I am re considering some things right now. I am not the best in math or science, and I'm not the strongest test taker, so that will affect me if I took the MCAT.

I actually always grew interest in working for the CIA, because I want to serve in the military after I graduated from college and I was hoping some military experience could help me, and the CIA idea also stems a little from me growing up in a family of government employees, which I have always been proud to say. I'm not sure what caused the change of heart into medicine, but I have to be serious about the path I need to take to do what I want to do (I guess it would help to finally decide what I want to do, haha)

I know I was a little all over the place here, but any advice/insight/ experience on the Health Sciences major would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! :)

Replies to: Health Sciences (Pre-Professional) Major at ASU? Is Health Science a good major?

• RunFunPhanRunFunPhan Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Lovenetc, first and foremost, attend the school. Make sure the first year has the pre-reqs for all the majors you'd described. For example, pre-prof & pre-health would both need maybe biology or someting similair. Take those classes and see how you do & whether or not you enjoy them. The MCAT & medical/dental schools are far off into the future and you're not in college just yet. "Feel it out" and see how things go within reason, of course. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.