Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can I get into Arizona State University?

sundevil2018sundevil2018 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I really want to go to Asu next fall and have already submitted my application and transcripts. Do you think I have a chance of getting in? A lot of people say they take everyone but it looks like their acceptance rate is 83%. I'm a senior in high school. I do independent study which is not considered home schooling. my first two years of high school didn't go the best when it comes to my grades. my gpa for the first semester of senior year is roughly a 2.4. i got a composite score of 18 on the act no writing test. i have 87 hours of community service. i really need some opinions on if anyone thinks i can get in.

Replies to: Can I get into Arizona State University?

• coolguy40coolguy40 Registered User Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    I'll be blunt :) The answer is no. Of course, you have nothing to lose by applying. The average GPA is 3.4 and the average ACT is 26. All is not lost. You have 2 options I can see. The first is a community college. After a year, you typically don't have to submit high school records.

Option 2 is UTEP. It's 5 hours away and out of state. They have a virtually 100% acceptance rate. Paying for an out of state school is tricky, so you need to talk to the financial aid office and your parents on how to pay for it.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,096 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    https://students.asu.edu/freshman/requirements says that
    ASU welcomes applications from students with diverse academic backgrounds and interests. A freshman is defined as a student who has graduated from a regionally accredited high school and has completed fewer than 12 transferable college credits post-high school. Freshman applicants who possess a high school diploma and meet the following requirements will be admitted to ASU.

English - 4 years (composition/literature based)
    Math - 4 years (algebra I, geometry, algebra II and one course requiring algebra II as a prerequisite)
    Laboratory Science - 3 years total (1 year each from any of the following areas are accepted: biology, chemistry, earth science, integrated sciences and physics)
    Social Science - 2 years (including 1 year American history)
    Second Language - 2 years (same language)
    Fine Arts or Career and Technical Education - 1 year

Applicants must also meet at least one of the following:

Top 25% in high school graduating class
    3.00 GPA in competency courses (4.00 = "A")
    ACT 22 (24 nonresidents)*
    SAT: 1120 (1180 nonresidents)**

* ASU does not require the writing portion of these tests
    ** Requirement for SATs taken prior to May 2016 is 1010 (1110 non-residents).

[...]

Individual Review All students who don't meet the above standards will be evaluated through a process called Individual Review. Through this process Admission Services will review all available information about a student's application, carefully considering all aspects of a student's academic background and accomplishments. Submission of an ACT or SAT test score is highly recommended. In some cases, additional information might be requested.

2.4 HS GPA and 18 ACT fall short of the automatic admission requirements, so your application would be put in individual review.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,600 Senior Member
    Your GPA will be recalculated based on the ABOR requirements quoted above -- which can help or hurt your GPA.
  • sundevil2018sundevil2018 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    my gpa of 2.4 is only for the first semester which does not include the A i have in a class im concurrently taking at a different school. i know my act is only 18 but i know someone currently at asu who got in with the same score. i am confused as to why some people say anyone will get in and others say i don't have a chance?
  • azmomof3azmomof3 Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    I don't really know about your chances for admittance under the individual review but I guess I'm a little worried about you keeping up your grades in the classes you take at ASU - especially at a $25K+ price tag (if you live on campus). I'm not a huge fan of standardized tests but I do think they demonstrate college readiness. Can you take it again next month? I think attending CC might be a better start to your college career. Regardless you should have your admission answer pretty quickly - they turn them in a couple of weeks typically.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,600 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    They will look for all the above courses over your entire transcript when calculating your ABOR GPA, not just first semester of senior year.

What they're looking for in the review stage is whether you would be prepared academically for college in general and the major you want in particular. If you have explained any extenuating circumstances, you've done all you can. All you can do is wait and see.
  • Jamrock411Jamrock411 Registered User Posts: 499 Member
    OP, what is your overall (cumulative) GPA (freshman through first semester of senior year) todate? Telling us your 2.4 GPA for one semester is misleading, at best. Is your cumulative GPA less than 2.4? Do you firmly believe you are college ready? Your ACT/GPA suggest otherwise.
  • sundevil2018sundevil2018 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    edited January 2018
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,253 Senior Member
    Please read the ASU admissions requirements carefully in post #2 above.

My understanding is that neither an ACT or SAT score is required. OP: Do not submit your ACT score of 18 as it will harm your chance for admission.
This discussion has been closed.