Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Any Barrett decisions yet?

1235»

Replies to: Any Barrett decisions yet?

• CorinthianCorinthian Registered User Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    @outofaz : I agree your son's stats and my D's are very comparable, which is why I was very concerned when I saw he was rejected. I am surprised your son was rejected. @jellybean5 is right though that students who were rejected in this round can ask for reconsideration. I remember someone on this board did that last year and got accepted during re-review. Good luck!
  • outofazoutofaz Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @Corinthian @jellybean24 i called and spoke with the admissions dept. was told his test scores were "not the problem" and we will talk with them further tomorrow. i'm also curious - how do we know what is written in letters of recommendation from school counselor and teacher? do you have any insight? i was told over the phone that it is "unlikely decisions are reversed" through re-review.
    @outofaz the person whose kid got in last year on re-review is @EOTYN1.
  • jellybean5jellybean5 Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    @outofaz I couldn't tell you a thing, I know nothing. I didn't even read my D's essays. I did read the thread for acceptances to Barrett last year like @Corinithian and I remember reading that one student getting in through re-review. Which is why I made a note of it. In last year's acceptance thread it didn't seem that there was a "definite type" of student that was accepted, which is why my D applied. I doubt that helps you any but I hope you get some better answers from ASU Barrett.
  • BorgityBorgBorgityBorg Registered User Posts: 269 Junior Member
    My D was accepted yesterday -- AZ resident, 4.0 uw GPA (don't remember weighted -- she took all the comparatively limited number of honors/AP courses available), 1540 SAT, "standard" school/regional ECs. She also participated in the "Barrett Summer Scholars" summer camps in middle school, FWIW.

Sorry to hear of the denial, @outofaz -- I hope the discussion today with the Barrett folks at the very least helps bring some clarity. I don't have any further suggestions... good luck.
    @HCopter when did your D receive that postcard? I just looked through my file, didn't see it. I recall getting a postcard or two a few months ago for things going on in the fall, but we couldn't go then, so I ignored them...
  • BorgityBorgBorgityBorg Registered User Posts: 269 Junior Member
    For what it's worth (i.e., for the people looking at this thread next year), my D got a hard-copy packet of her acceptance letter and brochure material from Barrett yesterday. (She was accepted on Dec. 19, so it seems perhaps they didn't process the envelopes until after the New Year's break.) Neither she nor I (from a parent perspective) found it very useful, though. (The letter is already available on the portal.)
    edited January 18
    @BorgityBorg We got the same envelope yesterday and I agree there was no new info there.
    edited January 19
    Thanks @BorgityBorg then we can look forward to receiving that packet for fun. My D really got a kick out of the acceptance envelope from ASU several months ago. It will really make it feel like things are getting real.
  • NewSR1NewSR1 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    Just an FYI. Looks like not only are they raising tuition from last year, but Barrett fees are going up to $1000 per semester (instead of $750 semester)
1235»