Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

disadvantages to applying in march/april?

flyingllamaflyingllama Registered User Posts: 1,360 Senior Member
edited September 2009 in Arizona State University
i'm not an arizona resident. i will apply to ASU if none of the other colleges accept me, since ASU has rolling admissions.

but what are the advantages to applying much earlier? scholarships etc

i have an EFC of 0
Post edited by flyingllama on

Replies to: disadvantages to applying in march/april?

• flyingllamaflyingllama Registered User Posts: 1,360 Senior Member
    also, how much money can i expect from asu?

family income = 20K/year
    NOT an arizona resident

SAT = 2080 though retaking aiming 2250
    not national merit finalist
    GPA = 3.6/4.05
    rank = top 10%
  • emerlusemerlus Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    For need based, don't count on it, even though you have a low income, you're OOS and it's a public college. The only scholarship you're likely to get is Dean's Scholarship | University Student Initiatives
    I don't know anything about it, but you seem to have good stats, so.

Just curious, but why is ASU your safety, if you're OOS?

For when to apply, there is no disadvantage, that I know of, to applying later. I did, but I was also a NMF, which changes things. But I don't think later will hurt as long as you make the deadline.

What other schools are you applying to?
    Well, I have always considered ASU my safety for some reason. Plus, if I'm going to a safety school... ASU has the reputation for parties and lots of fun. It also has a really simple application... Might as well, no?

My other safeties are Ohio University or Indiana (Bloomington), U Alabama, and U Miami. I'm also applying to a bunch of top ones to take my chances, because of their amazing aid. I could basically go for free to any Ivy or similar top school. (Stanford, Duke, etc).

Is that Dean's scholarship 10K per year?
  • mmmcdowemmmcdowe Registered User Posts: 2,353 Senior Member
    You should apply to ASU early. The whole point of a safety is to have it sitting in your back pocket, not for it to be the school that you rush to finish your application for at the end of your senior year. Waiting until that late might bite you in the rear end. ASU is working to keep its growth in check, so it is instituting a maximum freshman class policy. As an out of state student, you are the most likely candidate to get the axe if they are near that maximum value.
  • christalena2christalena2 Registered User Posts: 1,667 Senior Member
    Merit Scholarships are only given to applicants who apply before January too. Keep that in mind. Plus, as of this past year, ASU is no longer a rolling admission school. I think applications closed in March. Check that out. The application takes a whole 10 minutes. I would just get it out of the way.
  • CoolbrezzeCoolbrezze Registered User Posts: 5,403 Senior Member
    No... ASU isn't great for out of state financial aid, especially need base. You should be looking at University of Arizona, like myself.

efc 0
    ASU is great for merit based OOS financial aid.
    ^ good enough to cover OOS tuition? like 2200 SAT and 4.1 GPA
    The national merit scholarship covers that. It's about 21500 a year. I believe the Dean's Scholarship is about half of that, and is for the top non-national merit students.
    You can find lots of smaller ones as well to add on to these.
    http://students.asu.edu/scholarships/search
    Yeah that's not enough... I'm not NMF. I'll forget about Arizona
This discussion has been closed.