Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Should Junior with 2370 Retake SAT?s?

Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,772 Senior Member
edited September 2013 in Ask The Dean Topics
Question: I am in 11th grade, and I just got back my January SAT scores. I got a 2370- 800 CR, 800 writing, and 770 in math. Math is usually my best subject so I know for a fact that I’m capable of getting a 800 in math if I retake. Should I [...]

View the complete Q&A at CC's Ask The Dean...
Post edited by Sally_Rubenstone on

Replies to: Should Junior with 2370 Retake SAT?s?

• SimpleLifeSimpleLife Registered User Posts: 2,370 Senior Member
    My son was in a similar position following his only SAT test in October of his junior year. His score was just a little higher than yours. He did not re-take. I fully supported and respected his choice.

My son and I totally agree with "the Dean's" answer on Sally's link. There are a few reasons I can think of NOT to re-take it.

In no particular order:

Statistically, you are more likely to come out of the re-take with a LOWER score, not a higher score, even though Math is your best subject. Somewhere on College Board, they cite re-take statistics for given scores -- people above something like 2100 (can only remember the gist, not the exact number) statistically score lower on a re-take, not higher. Then how would you feel?

I agree with "the Dean" that there's a risk that you'll be viewed as a tad obsessive if you choose to re-take a 2370. EVERY college admissions team would tell you that, in their minds, there is no difference between a 2370 and a 2400. They're both great scores that say something great about you. It would be pretty cool to say you got a perfect score. It is true that non-admissions people make a lot more out of a perfect 2400 than my son's extremely-close-to-2400. But re-taking for that reason would be ... well, obsessive and prideful maybe? (To my family, anyway.)

I firmly believe that your 2370 will look just as good to admissions as a 2400 ... and who's to say you would get the 2400 the second time around?

There are so many better things to do with your life as a high school junior. High school should be fun. It should be a place where you can safely experiment with all kinds of intellectual and extracurricular pursuits. Those pursuits will not only broaden your horizons and make you a better person. They'll also make you a better, more interesting college applicant.

So put the SAT study guides away and live a little! :)
  • fjghasfjghas Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    i know this thread is old, but should i retake a 2310 (second try)?

im also a junior and this is the breakdown:
    760 reading
    770 math
    780 writing

i also consider math to be my best subject, and i know i can get an 800 next time.
    also for reading, i missed three questions, and if i had only missed 2, it would have been an 800.

so i know i can do better, and isnt a 2370+ much better than what i have right now?
  • purpleacornpurpleacorn Registered User Posts: 1,559 Senior Member
    I would advise against it. For example, this time, on CR, you missed three questions, but you can't really 'control' how many you'll miss next time. A huge part of it is probably luck on that particular test date. Once you're this good of a tester, it's a lot less about your skills as a student and a lot more about how much the universe likes you. And you have a 2310 with no obvious, glaring lacks in any sections-- I say be done with it!
  • PCHopePCHope Registered User Posts: 489 Member
    It really depends on other parts (GPA, ECs, LORs, etc) of your portfolio. If these aspects are outstanding, you do not need to retake SAT. If they are not, then a better SAT might be helpful, however slightly.
  • marshallmeyer12marshallmeyer12 Registered User Posts: 445 Member
    Retaking 2350+ is superfluous.
  • InoubliableInoubliable Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Definitely do not retake..
  • zobrowardzobroward Registered User Posts: 3,933 Senior Member
    no way!!! !!!
  • tutordhaustutordhaus Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    For the SAT, scores north of 700 are imprecisely different..... A recent SAT Math, apparently, had a "curve" that cost 60 points for 2 wrong answers.

Statistically, if you score in the mid 200s on each section of the SAT, where are you most likely to go, if you retake? UP. There's more room above you than below

If you score at or near the top, where are you most likely to go if you retake?...DOWN. There's more room below

If you take the SAT prior to your Junior year, regardless of what you get, you should probably retake as schools will want to see RECENT scores.

You wouldn't send your High School grades from only your freshman and sophomore years, would you?
  • CORDIECORDIE Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    You're fine.
This discussion has been closed.