Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

The Dean's New Editing Policy

Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
The Dean has made two New Year's resolutions for 2014. The first one involves the traditional 12 pounds that are on the Resolutions list every year. :(

The second one has to do with "Ask the Dean" editorial policies. In the past, when I have posted an "Ask the Dean" response, I have edited the question to remove spelling errors (at least when I catch them) as well as egregious grammatical goofs and other similar mistakes. I cleaned up most questions before posting them ... at least a little bit.

From now on, however, I am going to post the questions just as I receive them. (Exception: I will edit out personal details and other potentially identifying information, just as I have always done.)

The reason for this change is not only because I want to save time (which I certainly will) but also because I believe that the way a question is worded can tell me something about its sender that might affect my response. (Example: A question in broken English suggests that the student is an international applicant and might have requirements that a domestic applicant does not. A question about Harvard admission from a student using horrific grammar may whisper "huge Reach!") I want my readers to have access to much of the same information that I do when I answer. So from now on, you can expect that some of the questions you'll read here will not be "air brushed" as they've been in the past.

You may not notice this change, but --if you do--I hope you find it helpful.

Happy 2014 to all!
This discussion has been closed.