Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Are Low AP Scores an Elite-College Deal-Breaker?

1234568»

Replies to: Are Low AP Scores an Elite-College Deal-Breaker?

• Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    @ming3282 -No need to cancel the score. Just don't send it. Unlike with the SAT or ACT, applicants do NOT send official AP exam score reports to colleges until after being admitted and deciding to enroll. On the application itself, the AP scores are merely self-reported. So you don't have to bother canceling your physics score.
  • ming3282ming3282 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Thank you so much!
  • EcoliSkywalkerEcoliSkywalker Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    edited October 2016
    Harvey Mudd doesn't require or recommend AP scores. Rather, they require two subject tests. However, they use the common app and thus will see my self-reported AP scores.

I got a 4 on APWH, 4 on APCHEM, 3 on AP French Lang, 3 on AP Literature, & a 3 on APUSH.

Do you think these scores will hurt my chances? I think I got above 750 on my Math Level II and Chemistry subject tests (scores pending).

Do you think I should self-report these scores?

@Sally_Rubenstone
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    @EcoliSkywalker -Your AP scores will not have a negative impact on your acceptance at Harvey Mudd. It's a highly competitive school, as I'm sure you know. So if you're turned down, it won't be because of those. The admission folks there will look for evidence in your application that their small and non-traditional tech environment is a good match for you. The AP tests won't address that issue. However, although some of your AP results are just so-so, it could work a tiny bit in your favor that you are applying to a science/engineering college and yet took AP exams in so many non-science areas even before your senior year. Your math and chem Subject Tests will have much more impact than the AP scores.
  • EcoliSkywalkerEcoliSkywalker Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    As an update to this thread, I self-reported all my AP scores and was admitted to Harvey Mudd College :)
1234568»
This discussion has been closed.