Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Handling Dorm Decor When Roommates Come from Different Financial Worlds

2»

Replies to: Handling Dorm Decor When Roommates Come from Different Financial Worlds

• NetsirknnaNetsirknna Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Respond to the mother contritely and simply state "Thanks so much for reaching out to me. I spoke to my son and after speaking with him, do you think we could have the boys work out what they need once they move in and discuss things once they see the room, configure their furniture, and determine how much space they have? Also, my son mentioned he is going to inquire about the cost for renting a dorm refrigerator as I think most students at X University rent them and this saves them the expense of buying a brand new one. I hope the boys can come up with an agreeable plan when they move in together. Hope to see you on move in day! Enjoy the rest of the summer!"
  • liska21liska21 Registered User Posts: 634 Member
    Oh wow. That brings up bad memories of my D's (incompatible) freshman roommate. She wants to figure out all these shared extras and to color coordinate decor. My D and our family is really minimalistic. D had to gracefully decline attempts to coordinate decor, in part because her Star Wars and LOTR stuff didn't come in pastels. lol. That roommate year was a disaster. Hopefully your son and his roommate are compatible and that your son plays video games.

I am dreading freshman year for S19. Seems like video gaming is very popular amoung guys. S19 has never had any interest in that and it'll be a real downer to be stuck with a gamer. D16's roommate brought a TV and watched every day. It was awful.