Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is A 24-College List Unreasonable?

13»

Replies to: Is A 24-College List Unreasonable?

• seniorx2019seniorx2019 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    edited March 1
    Also, coming from a senior--you truly can recycle essays. Maybe not the Why X school? essay, but you can write an outline that you use for most schools. The supplement I wrote for my RD school was fantastic and happened to fit most of the prompts for many of my schools. Yes, you do end up writing a lot of supplements, but one of my friends who goes to Yale now and also applied to 20 schools said applying to 20 schools was one of the best investments they made. I understand where people are coming from in advising a short list, but with the increasing competitiveness of college apps, applying to 20 schools (if the apps are good) could increase your chances of getting better aid/a school that you like more. I honestly think people are so judgemental when it comes to lists/CC in general, talk to your college counselor, your parents, seniors at your school, and make the choice for yourself.
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 1,111 Senior Member
    Waiting on financial aid/merit scholarship notifications are perfectly reasonable if those schools are truly in play. I was referring to the "0 interest" schools.
  • eb23282eb23282 Registered User Posts: 417 Member
    Unreasonable? No
    Unnecessary? I think so
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,930 Senior Member
    My D applied to 19 schools for 2015 admission. She did ED one school and had she been admitted that would have been the end of it, but she was not. She did have EA offers and an early write but, with the exception of the instate flagship safety, they were outside our budget (set at price of said flagship). Of the 19 schools I think there were two she really didn't want to attend but would have had to consider for financial reasons.

We talked about culling the list and there were at least 5 schools I thought she should take of, either because they were likely not a great "fit" or by all accounts they would not come in under budget. I'll admit that our financial picture was not easy to determine -- her bio Dad/stepmother had substantial income and my husband and I owned a business so our EFC could not be trusted. All schools but the one instate were profile schools.

In the end, had she taken the schools off the list that I was questioning, she would not be where she is today. This school in particular was one that I was adamant she would never get enough $$ and yet, it came in with the lowest COA by far, no other school came close. So, say what you will, but for us it was well worth the application fees and other expenses. And yes, she wrote several, maybe a dozen? essays and spent every weekend on them but she knew how important this was and she was determined to go to a private LAC if at all possible.
  • sunnyschoolsunnyschool Registered User Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
    edited March 4
    This is when it gets ridiculous....and starts to impact other students at the 23 schools the student cannot attend. I think there should be a limit - maybe 10 or 12 schools?
  • chetahchetah Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    Amazing article!
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,724 Senior Member
    Where is the point that it becomes unreasonable? Why 24? How about 20? Or 23, for that matter. Or 50 Something like that young woman featured in the news? Some schools place limits. How firmly they will stick to those limits if there is pushback from parents, I don’t know.

My youngest applied to 8 colleges early. He was done in December, he told me once he got his first EA acceptance. If his EDschool accepted him, he was pre-committed. But it did not, he was going to go that EA school. He was fine with his applications.

He had had a list of RD schools he was going work on, if he did not get into the ED school and it had 24 or so schools on it. Not that he’d apply to all of the schools on that list. The composition of the working list would depend on which schools accepted him in the early cycle. As it turned out, the list ended up empty.

But early in the app process, he wanted to apply to a half dozen or so highly selective schools just as lottery tickets. Then a group of schools also very selective. Then a group of likely/match schools that he really liked that did not have Early Action or rolling admissions.

My other son had SAT scores in the lower quartile of the schools he liked. But his grades and course rigor were high. We cut a wide swath getting a list together. He liked the larger state schools that I felt very unlikely to take him because of their formula admissions. But he had about a half dozen on his list along with Fair test schools and Catholic schools and a few long shots. It can add up fast

13»