Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Would Princeton Admit All Five Applicants From My High School?

13»

Replies to: Would Princeton Admit All Five Applicants From My High School?

• HolyCheeseballsHolyCheeseballs Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    They might accept all 5 kids if those 5 kids were very different. Maybe one is amazing at music, maybe another one had their own huge nonprofit, maybe one is amazing at science and maybe one is an amazing writer. Princeton wants people who have different strengths and weaknesses in addition to just geographic diversity. If all 5 kids are very different students and fit the criteria Princeton is looking for, then yes, maybe they will get accepted.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,605 Senior Member
    Geo diversity at top colleges is true. And remember, it's not just your hs. It incudes the hs down the street or across town or even further. Very real issue for many kids from locations that produce a large number of highly qualified applicants. Yes, by state matters, somewhat. It depends on a good app. If none of the proverbial NDak applicants are so great, top colleges aren't afraid to say no. But of coure they'll get an ardent look.

And if a hs that hasn't been on their radar lately suddenly starts producing great kids, none of OP's 5 may be accepted.

But this "fit" thing matters. It needs to "show" in your app/supp. Most kids, even top performers, miss the whole a top college wants to see. Grades alone (or even with what some think are excellent ECs) don't predict an admit chance. You need a reasonable Why Us and the right thinking shown in your app/supp. Drives me nuts when a Chance Me gets enthusiastic and absolute responses ("You're a lock, man!") when the OP isn't thinking holistically or hasn't dug into what those colleges look for. Which, btw, isn't some non-profit or writing a lot.

Plus kids make mistakes.

I think @Sally_Rubenstone's printed answer is spot on.
13»