Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Other “Good Fit” Options for Disappointed Stanford Applicant

Replies to: Other “Good Fit” Options for Disappointed Stanford Applicant

• yucca10yucca10 Registered User Posts: 816 Member
    @Coloradomama According to Naviance, Stanford took 3 students from our school every year for the past 3 years. Not sure who they are, some might be athletes. I know one student got in early this year - a double legacy and Hispanic.
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,927 Senior Member
    If there is nothing special about Stanford, there is nothing special about any college. I think having that kind of attitude is fine. But from my son's experience there, it's pretty decent school: I mean, where do you get to hear billionaire entrepreneurs speak in your classes on regular basis? I mean, Stanford does have some strong points.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,926 Senior Member
    I believe there are billionaire speakers at UPenn, Columbia, and other schools near big cities.

There are a lot of kids from my high school, in Colorado, who get into Stanford every year. Most are athletes but not all, and it isn't as if the athletes didn't figure that into their choice Keep playing golf and you might get into Stanford. Swim swim swim your way to Palo Alto. The high school has so many student athletes that it has GCs who know the NCAA rules better than the coaches.

Stanford, ND, Duke are elite schools that offer D1 athletics at a high level. They attract top athletes.
  • molbiohemonco1molbiohemonco1 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    I think it's rather sad that many parents have voiced their displeasure at this applicant's sadness. I don't see anything in that student's question that indicated that they "expected" to get in, and I certainly don't see any evidence of entitlement. All I see is that the student idolized Stanford, and felt that their positive qualities meshed well with the intellectual and social mission of the school. They didn't get in, and considering how strongly they seem to have identified with the school, it was a major disappointment for them, especially considering that the student may not be wrong in that less accomplished students were accepted. Not only that, but by asking this question, they're clearly attempting to move on with their lives. The child might be naïve, but they're not being arrogant. This just teaches him that life isn't fair.

Yes, it's hard to get into Stanford. We understand numbers and percentages as well. The kid wants help, and frankly, to comment so snidely on this student's sadness reflects more on your own sense of misplaced superiority than on the student's arrogance.
  • LabmamaLabmama Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    @TomSrOfBoston my daughter was rejected by Stanford. She knew all along that the likelihood of acceptance was near zero, but she tried anyway (which is how she was raised...you don't get what you want if you don't try). She put her heart and soul into her application. The rejection was brutal, even though she was expecting it. She'll be fine; she already has a full tuition scholarship to a state flagship, and will likely be accepted to some other more competitive schools. I find your comment callous and rude. These kids are KIDS who are learning a very hard lesson that dreams don't necessarily come true, no matter how hard you try. A little compassion goes a long way.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,446 Senior Member
    @Labmama Your daughter's situation, at least as you describe it, was total different from that of the student in the article. He came across as someone who deserved to be admitted because he had high stats and it was a perfect fit

"you don't get what you want if you don't try." Even if you try you don't always get what you want.
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,927 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    The applicant who asked the question did not seem "entitled" to me. Am I in the minority? Seems like a normal reaction by the kid.

• eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 4,922 Senior Member
    @websensation said: "Stanford does have some strong points."

Absolutely Stanford has some strong points.

Unfortunately, the ranking system(s), and the race to define the 'best" of everything has done two things. It has assumed that the strong points are germane to everyone. They are not. It also completely overlooks Stanford's shortcomings, mainly the heavy reliance on TAs for labs and discussions, some with limited command of English, and the large classes. Those are not unique to Stanford. MANY schools have those issues. They also are not a big deal to everyone.

The point I'm trying to make is that ALL schools, even the ones we consider Podunk U, have strengths and weaknesses. It's up to the student vetting them to see how they align with their personal needs and wants. Most don't do that. They simply follow rankings.
  • MusakParentMusakParent Registered User Posts: 735 Member
    edited December 2018
    Maybe no one has ever sat down and talked with this kid about what holistic admissions looks like. Not every senior applying to colleges has parents as engaged as the ones that frequent this board. If you have 17 year olds always graceful in defeat and if you were as well, that's fantastic. Some teens and young adults still need practice losing gracefully. I know plenty of older humans that struggle in this regard for that matter. I think we can have a little grace for a kid/barely adult just getting into this process for the first time.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 2,390 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    You can read whatever you want into the statement. I'm not even sure it's one actual student, since the question and comments sound like any kid being rejected from any top choice.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,446 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    Not every senior applying to colleges has parents as engaged as the ones that frequent this board
    Very often it is the parents who give the student the sense of entitlement. Until that point the student has never been denied anything in life.

A couple of levels below the Stanford's, Boston University's admissions and financial aid offices have equipped the receptionist's desks with "panic buttons" to summon campus police if a parent (or occasionally an applicant) becomes outraged at being denied admission or receiving inadequate financial aid.
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 3,611 Senior Member
    I'm not even sure it's one actual student

I think the whole article is fiction.