Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Other “Good Fit” Options for Disappointed Stanford Applicant

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey Editor Posts: 162 Editor
Following Stanford denial, this student is seeking other potential fits. Find out what The Dean has to say: https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/other-good-fit-options-for-disappointed-stanford-applicant/

Replies to: Other “Good Fit” Options for Disappointed Stanford Applicant

• JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 868 Member
    @TomSrOfBoston
    Agreed. The Dean was very gracious and kind in her response. I think both of us may not have been so kind.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,014 Senior Member
    I think that anyone who expects to get into Stanford, regardless of their stats, doesn't realize the reality of the fact that there are FAR too many fully qualified students applying to far too few slots. That said, I've personally witnessed lesser students who were legacies get slots over vastly more qualified students. It's certainly Stanford's prerogative, but it comes across as being unfair. That's a good life lesson, but a hard one to swallow.
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    I looked at the REA link to see those accepted, deferred and rejected, and for most applicants, I honestly didn't see any significant differences in GPAs or test scores or even ECs. But did notice Stanford seems to give a nod to first generation or low income applicants. So must have come down to LoRs and essays.
  • EGHopefulEGHopeful Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    The beauty of all of this is the LIFE LESSONS these students will learn. I remind my D21 all the time that life isn't fair even in the work place. It's not always the more qualified applicant the gets the job I see it all the time in my 30+ years working in corporate America. Better to learn sooner than later. I seen a lot of people that come across my desk that look great on paper just to get them in and they are not a good Team Players, poor communication skills, etc.
  • HPuck35HPuck35 Registered User Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    For the top colleges grades, test scores and the like are just gates to pass. So the accepted and rejected students will all have similar stats. What they are typically looking for is students that push themselves inside and outside the classroom. They are also risk takers. Personality also makes a difference. Demonstrated leadership skills are very important.

How do you match up in these areas?
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama Registered User Posts: 2,091 Senior Member
    Its time to eat humble pie. But really i don't see anything much special about Stanford, there are thousands of schools with harder academics and comparable programs. The only unique thing I can think of about Stanford, it is very strong job connection location in Silicon Valley. I do not understand the fuss about Stanford, and why students believe its better than so many other schools. Is it the palm trees? I just do not understand the allure, but I think 80% of Colorado students apply to Stanford. And 99.99999% get rejected. The only way into Stanford is being a recruited athlete or a top legacy candidate, where grandma has a building named after her. I even know such a legacy family and only two of the four children got into grandma's school ! Stanford is a very very poor bet. Why are students so stupid to bet poorly?
    They need a probability and statistics class, I guess.
    We said no to Stanford, and never took a look, with our sons. Just say NO to Stanford, is our motto, its a very poor bet and its not really that fun there, according to the Colorado runners and volleyball players we know there. In fact, female athletes in engineering are told clearly --YOU do not really belong in Stanford Engineers. Its a very sexist school and always has been. I would NEVER sent a daughter to Stanford. MIT is much better if you really need to kill yourself for four years.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 2,212 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    @Coloradomama It’s funny you mentioned this. Last year while in line at an IKEA in Palo Alto, I happened to run into a lawyer who lives in Denver who was a Stanford grad and one who interviews local Colorado candidates. At the time, my kid was applying to Stanford and we got around to talking about odds of getting in.

In his 10+ years of interviewing Colorado candidates, not one single person that he has interviewed has gotten in, even though he could have bet the ranch on a few of them that they would have gotten in. It’s getting to the point where he’s seriously considering not doing the interviews anymore, he personally feels depressed that it’s so impossible to get in.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,687 Senior Member
    "there are thousands of schools with harder academics and comparable programs."
    THOUSANDS????
    uh, no. :)) 8-|
  • HPuck35HPuck35 Registered User Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    I was in my third year interviewing for MIT before one of my interviewees got in. And then he turned MIT down and I found out he went to Stanford.

It is somewhat discouraging to keep interviewing when the admit rates for the top schools are so very low. But, I do feel that I get to meet some very smart and accomplished people. I'm sure that they will do well wherever they go.
  • reachmn2oooreachmn2ooo Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Honestly.. follow your heart and choose universities.. I have come to a point where everything and nothing about portfolios matter! (HAHAHAHA)