Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I Send My Enrollment Deposit Before I Receive My Financial Aid Award?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey Editor Posts: 166 Editor
Find out whether to send an enrollment deposit to your top-choice school as soon as you're accepted, or if you should wait for the financial aid package. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/should-i-send-my-enrollment-deposit-before-i-receive-my-financial-aid-award/

Replies to: Should I Send My Enrollment Deposit Before I Receive My Financial Aid Award?

• OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,224 Senior Member
    edited January 17
    @Sally_Rubenstone
    Typically, housing deposits are not accepted until the enrollment deposit has arrived. So if your college is pressuring you to send a housing deposit now, and you were to send both an enrollment deposit and a housing deposit, it’s unlikely that the latter will be returned if you change your mind.

If the college is a member of NACAC, this is against the rules they agreed to, no?
    Colleges must not use on-campus housing assignments to manipulate enrollment commitments prior to May 1. The only exception occurs when colleges are unable to house all their first-year students. In that case, they may assign housing on a first-come, first-served basis and alert candidates that on-campus housing is not guaranteed if they wait until May 1 to submit their housing deposits. In such situations, colleges must refund their enrollment and housing deposits if students cancel their admission by May 1.

https://www.nacacnet.org/globalassets/documents/advocacy-and-ethics/statement-of-principles-of-good-practice/nacacs-code-of-ethics--professional-practices.pdf
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,985 Senior Member
    @OHMomof2 -In theory all deposits should be refunded before May 1 but In reality, colleges sometimes make it so tough for families to get housing money back that they give up.
    From the article -
    ...although enrollment deposits will typically be refunded before May 1, housing deposits are not governed by the same rules.

--

Typically, housing deposits are not accepted until the enrollment deposit has arrived.

If an enrollment deposit is required to make a non-refundable housing deposit, the school really is cheating. I guess I feel such unethical practices should not be rewarded. The schools should be reported. IMO.
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,985 Senior Member
    @OHMomof2 -I actually did report a university to NACAC's Best Practices committee several years ago when a famiily was dealing with a deposit issue. And what I learned is that there's a fair amount of gray area here. Regardless of what the NACAC "rules" may proclaim, NACAC is an admissions organization. So at some institutions, administrators in other departments (e.g., Housing) don't feel that they fall under the admissions jurisdiction and thus shouldn't be required to abide by policies that they haven't been involved in making.

I don't know all the ins and outs of this, but I DO know that there are many situations in life where what SHOULD happen and what WILL happen are not congruent!
    True/ And I imagine it's hard for a family to not say OK and just do it, given that pressure. But I hate it :)
    @OHMomof2 --There's SO much about the admission process to hate. Where do we even begin? ;-)