Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Next Steps When Student Is Barred From Taking AP Class

2»

Replies to: Next Steps When Student Is Barred From Taking AP Class

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,130 Super Moderator
    edited January 24
    I am the only one who has never heard of a kid taking a class ie Physics, then retaking it as an AP?
    There are 4 AP Physics classes, although schools generally don't offer all 4.

AP Physics 1 is almost always a first physics course.
    AP Physics C :Mechanics almost always requires AP Physics 1 or Physics CP or H (plus calculus concurrently or as a prereq). If you want to see stressed kids, look at the ones that somehow managed to take AP Physics C as their first physics course.

AP Physics 2 usually has AP Physics 1 as a prereq
    AP Physics C: E&M usually has AP Physics C: Mech as a prereq (or both mech and E&M are taught as a single course, but with 2 AP exams)
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • houndmomhoundmom Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    That makes more sense. Clearly my kids just took regular ole Physics 😌
  • RichInPittRichInPitt Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    Our school, and almost all those in the area, have Honors Physics and then Calculus-based AP Physics C as a sequence/pre-requisite. I don't think any offer AP Physics 1 or 2, which are algebra-based and typically not accepted for college credit, as least at the STEM majors we looked at. Most schools required a 5 on the AP exam, and even then encouraged kids to still take it. As noted above, AP Physics in HS is significantly different from most freshman physics classes for science/engineering majors.
  • damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 26
    I don't think any offer AP Physics 1 or 2, which are algebra-based and typically not accepted for college credit, as least at the STEM majors we looked at.

Many colleges do offer credit for AP Physics 1 or 2, but Physics and Engineering majors only accept AP Physics C or college Physics with Calculus. For example Penn and Brown accept AP Physics 1 and 2 credit with scores of 5: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-university-search/brown-university (Click "Applying/AP") If you take and get a high score on both Physics 1 and Physics C Mechanics exams, then you will only get credit for one of them.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,569 Senior Member
    damon30 wrote:
    Many colleges do offer credit for AP Physics 1 or 2

However, since AP physics 1 and 2 correspond to physics for biology majors, which is often taken by pre-meds, getting credit can be a dilemma for pre-meds. Some medical schools do not accept AP credit in place of pre-med course requirements, although they may accept higher level courses (but there are typically no higher level courses after physics for biology majors). But repeating AP physics 1 and 2 credit with physics for biology majors in college means looking like a grade-grubber to medical schools reading the application.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,130 Super Moderator
    If you take and get a high score on both Physics 1 and Physics C Mechanics exams, then you will only get credit for one of them.
    It's very common for colleges to cap AP credit to two of the physics exams. Here's another example from the UCs:
    http://www.admission.ucla.edu/Prospect/APCreditLS.htm
  • GloriaVaughnGloriaVaughn Registered User Posts: 522 Member
    The local high school here, will not allow you to take an AP exam unless the school offers the course or you took the class with them. They made that rule after my oldest took the AP exam (5) as a self study.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    DD's school had the honors science course as the prereqs for the corresponding APs. In her school it was 9th grade H bio, 10th H chem, 11th H physics and then an AP science in 12th. For Physics the only option was C - 1 semester of mechanics, 1 semester of E&M, only offered to seniors. Only a handful of students had more than one AP science as a result.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 2,458 Senior Member
    The local high school here, will not allow you to take an AP exam unless the school offers the course or you took the class with them. They made that rule after my oldest took the AP exam (5) as a self study.

Now that’s something I would highly contest. True, it’s extra administration / proctor costs for the school but it inhibits the smart and ambitious kids. I’m going to guess that at my kid’s former HS, at least 10% of the students self study for something, with the most popular being AP MacroEcon and AP MicroEcon - because the class is not offered as an AP.
  • GloriaVaughnGloriaVaughn Registered User Posts: 522 Member
    @ProfessorPlum168 You picked your battles with the school since it was taken out on your kids grades. The laws they broke was unbelievable. I had enough on one teacher that they would have lost their federal funding. AP costs would have been shared with three other public and three private high schools. They wanted cookie cutter kids.
  • momofsmartdancermomofsmartdancer Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    edited January 27
    Skimming through this. Did the original poster delete the post?

I wanted to let the poster know that if their student is pre-med, that the MCAT tests them on algebra-based physics. For that reason, my d decided not to take AP Physics in high school because it is calc based. From what I understand, AP Physics is one of the hardest AP courses. Why encourage your child to put themselves through this course unless they intend to pursue a college major such as engineering?

Also of note. Is that my d got a full-ride scholarship at Big Ten university with only 10 APs + 1 dual-credit course. So, the poster is definitely not on the right track regarding their college admissions strategy. Most important is high GPA, high ACT/ SAT test scores, and demonstration of the ability of succeeding in college coursework by showing mastery of concepts taught in AP courses taken (through grades in course + AP score). Taking many AP courses is not necessary to demonstrate the ability to succeed in college. Mastery of a few AP courses will accomplish this.

My d took honors physics in high school (with As) and got As in college algebra-based physics. She has friends who skipped the first calc-based physics class in college because of their AP credit and who did poorly in their college physics class and had to repeat the course.
2»