Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

This Student Didn't Get Accepted Anywhere -- Find Out His Next Steps

2»

Replies to: This Student Didn't Get Accepted Anywhere -- Find Out His Next Steps

• MmeZeeZeeMmeZeeZee Registered User Posts: 638 Member
    edited March 6
    @katliamom Sorry, I did not mean to imply that everything I replied to was an assumption.

You're talking about the total pot and statistical likelihood of receiving it. That is helpful information when deciding to apply to higher cost colleges, but not a reason to cut a lower cost public option off the list.

The LW prompting this post is not "weighing pros and cons of various options". They have no acceptances in the February prior to fall quarter. Expecting more merit aid seems unrealistic anyway, even if it is theoretically available.

I'm replying in that context. Obviously CC may not be the BEST option for many students. But it is almost always AN option. And this kid has few other options.
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan Registered User Posts: 1,147 Senior Member
    Is there a reason why I can't see the article? I click on it and get what looks like a CC template where it is supposed to be.
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,107 Senior Member
    @bearcatfan -Are you using Firefox for your browser? Unfortunately, there’s a problem viewing CC Articles on Firefox. I have to switch browsers to read them. 😬
  • sta3535sta3535 Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    I'd go to a community college for 2 years & then try again. If he still doesn't get accepted for some odd reason, then he'd save a lot of $$$ by not dealing with student loans.
  • Scoop Your SkillsScoop Your Skills Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,933 Senior Member
    If the student has a decent guidance counselor or someone else knowledgeable about the local college scene, perhaps they can help with some viable options. In my area, there are a number of colleges that would likely take a strong student even this late in the season. Yes, community college is an option, but there may be other local choices as well, both public and private.

A strong performance in any of those schools could give the student a good chance of transferring to a school preferable to him. I have seen many many kids transfer from colleges that were not among their top choices, excel there and get accepted to selective schools like Penn, USC, UVA, Cornell, BC, just to name a few recent real life examples.