right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

This Student Didn't Get Accepted Anywhere -- Find Out His Next Steps

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 31 replies279 threadsEditor Editor
After applying to six schools, this student didn't get accepted anywhere. Here's how he can proceed: https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/no-college-has-accepted-me-what-now/
21 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: This Student Didn't Get Accepted Anywhere -- Find Out His Next Steps

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78242 replies690 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 4
    Article leaves out some very common destinations for students who get shut out of four year college applications (either all denials, or none of the admissions is affordable):

* Start at a community college.
    * Gap year(s) to work to earn money for college.
    edited March 4
    · Reply · Share
  • MmeZeeZeeMmeZeeZee 624 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    @ucbalumnus the question included a caveat "for reasons I don’t want to go into, staying home for a while and trying again next year or attending community college aren’t options."

I personally cannot fathom why community college is not an option--there are CCs that give F1 visas if that is the issue. I also cannot understand what circumstances would prevent someone from, you know, getting a job and moving in with several roommates.

Nonetheless, the student's self-limitation here is why those aren't listed as options.
    · Reply · Share
  • BellaMorganBellaMorgan 108 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I think that rejection is part of it, I have been rejected by my dream school in college. I did get stress and I know for a fact that I did disappoint my parents but then again life goes on. I feel like my world did fall apart, but I did not quit. I pursue the course that my parents want me to get and so far I did fell in love with it I did the study in a university that I did not like at first but eventually have managed to appreciate it with the help of my newly found friends. I almost did graduate as a cum laude but my grade falls short. I think that life is unpredictable sometimes you need to take a new path something that you never dream about.
    · Reply · Share
    katliamom wrote:
    there is far more financial aid money (merit in particular) for 4-year students than for transfers.

But probably much less so for a student who was shut out in April, since many merit scholarships have early deadlines and/or have given out all of their allocated money. Plus, the colleges know that shut out students are desperate for anything, so they will not have to give as good financial offers as they would during the regular admissions cycle.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 8027 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    University of the Virgin Islands has an application deadline of April 30th.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41883 replies451 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Or may be LGBTQ and kept in the closet by family or made unwelcome in their immediate community.
    · Reply · Share
    @katliamom @tutumom2001 @MYOS1634

There are a lot of assumptions here around community college. You don't have to stay at home. You don't have to stay in your city or even your state. And while you might not get as many private scholarships, Pell and subsidized loan limits are the same.

If a kid wanted to go to Portland Community College, their annual tuition would be just $500 more than attending an in-state school like the University of Washington in state. So suppose you get rejected by UW (or U of O). That FAFSA is still good. Submit to CC any time. Rolling enrollment.

That's not even to mention the fact that most states have more than one community college.

Can't go in the economic center? Go in the state capitol. Plus, the lower cost of attendance if you remain in state will save you handily, and given that CC is usually easier, you can work more.

I understand that some people don't want to go to CC. I understand that some people don't want to live off campus. I understand that some people have parents who won't pay for it because of classism.

But literally cannot attend CC although they thought a 4 year was an option? I still can't wrap my head around it. In my experience, CCs will bend over backwards to bring people in and help them meet their goals. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom9collegemom9 795 replies30 threadsRegistered User Member
    @Lindagaf The list is in the article.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34142 replies378 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 5
    And some won't attend cc because it won't hit the prestige button with classmates. Gotta say, when you're driven (and smart,) you make things work. That doesn't mean crazy loans. Rather, doing what it takes when you hit a twist in the road.

We don't even know if this kid's state has a GT program. Or if he targeted schools he qualifies for or is dreaming.
    edited March 5
    · Reply · Share
    Or if he targeted schools he qualifies for or is dreaming.

We know after the fact that a student who got shut out applied to no actual safeties.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34142 replies378 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Right. And now, in the 11th hour, going for 4 year residential colleges that still have open deadlines or space, may not be the best choice for him. For all we know, there are other issues.
    · Reply · Share
  • katliamomkatliamom 12812 replies167 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @MmeZeeZee -- I think you also may be making an assumption. ;) What I stated was a fact, not an assumption about community colleges. There IS more financial aid for 4-year students than transfer students, and it's a fact that should be taken into consideration by anyone weighing the pros and cons of the various options.
    · Reply · Share
    edited March 6
    @katliamom Sorry, I did not mean to imply that everything I replied to was an assumption.

You're talking about the total pot and statistical likelihood of receiving it. That is helpful information when deciding to apply to higher cost colleges, but not a reason to cut a lower cost public option off the list.

The LW prompting this post is not "weighing pros and cons of various options". They have no acceptances in the February prior to fall quarter. Expecting more merit aid seems unrealistic anyway, even if it is theoretically available.

I'm replying in that context. Obviously CC may not be the BEST option for many students. But it is almost always AN option. And this kid has few other options.
    edited March 6
    · Reply · Share
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan 1150 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Is there a reason why I can't see the article? I click on it and get what looks like a CC template where it is supposed to be.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3019 replies1114 threadsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @bearcatfan -Are you using Firefox for your browser? Unfortunately, there’s a problem viewing CC Articles on Firefox. I have to switch browsers to read them. 😬
    · Reply · Share
  • sta3535sta3535 195 replies106 threadsRegistered User Member
    I'd go to a community college for 2 years & then try again. If he still doesn't get accepted for some odd reason, then he'd save a lot of $$$ by not dealing with student loans.
    · Reply · Share
  • Scoop Your SkillsScoop Your Skills 1 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    good
    · Reply · Share