Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can Failing Community College Student Start Again With A Clean Slate?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey Editor Posts: 224 Editor
edited April 8 in Ask The Dean Topics
This student's community college experience has been challenging. Will he ever be able to transfer? Find out what the Dean advises. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/can-failing-community-college-student-start-again-with-a-clean-slate/

Replies to: Can Failing Community College Student Start Again With A Clean Slate?

• LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 9,262 Senior Member
    I spent 3 years at community college. I didn't take it seriously for a long time. I skipped classes and went to the beach. Eventually, I got put on academic probation at my community college. That was the wake-up call I needed. I got my act together. My grades improved and I transferred to a nearby university. It was the only university I applied to, and I certainly would not have got into it now. I even ended up making the Dean's list a couple of times, much to my surprise. It took me a further three years, but I got my degree.

Everyone does things at their own pace. Doing poorly in community college does not dictate your path in life. This student can turn things around if he wants to. It might be tough at first, but it can be done. I urge this student not to make the mistake I did of wasting so much of my time and my parents' money. I do wish I had buckled down earlier, but I can't change the past. I learned my lesson the hard way, but it was a necessary experience for me. I have a fulfilling career, a family, a home, good friends and a happy life. None of that is because I screwed up at community college. It's because I stuck it out, despite screwing up.

Here is the point: It's worth sticking it out and getting that degree. I wouldn't be doing what I do now without it. It took me a while to get to the point I am at now, but it was worth it. It will be for this student too, if he keeps moving forward.
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 846 Member
    I did 2 years at a private, didn't want to pursue my major anymore but didn't know WHAT I wanted to do, so I withdrew and parked myself at a community college for a year. I did figure out a major to pursue, with plans to transfer back into a 4-year state school. Just because I was at a community college, though, doesn't mean it was easy. I got a D in an economics class (teacher + not knowing how to study properly/unwilling to change it up), and I had to withdraw from a one night per week programming class because I just wasn't getting it. Retook the programming class in the summer (every day for multiple weeks) and got an A, and I retook the economics class in state school and also got an A. I was a good student in HS, but it took me 6 years to get my bachelors, including at least a couple of summers of classes. First one on either side of my family, and it would have been easy to give up, but there was no plan "B" other than try to expand one of my part-time jobs to full-time. Walking in that graduation ceremony was one of the happiest days of my life.
  • MmeZeeZeeMmeZeeZee Registered User Posts: 638 Member
    Whenever I read things like this I just want to grab the parents and ask them what they were thinking.

We spend so much time, well, some people spend so much time, talking about the "permanent record". A kid can screw up almost endlessly in middle and high school and they have a second chance when they get motivated. And you do not need to be a genius to do okay in community college. You can get accommodation for LDs, you can manage. But you have to want it.

But then, after all those years of telling kids "it's serious", then when we have ample evidence that a kid is not serious, and the situation is serious, some parents just insist on thrusting them in there.

Why do people do this? Especially to young men, some of whom do not appear to get their heads on straight until they are 30, it just seems silly. Let him get some sense and then he can go back to school later. It's like a train wreck every time and I just can't watch any more.
  • charleencharleen Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    it is not easy to be a young adult these days. as parents, you can only do so much.everyone mature in their own pace, and their own way, i am in a much tougher situation. .support parents and student as much as we can.