Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I Reapply to A College That Has Already Denied Me Twice?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey Editor Posts: 216 Editor
This student has been rejected from the same college two times -- should he reapply or consider another school? https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/should-i-reapply-to-a-college-that-has-already-denied-me-twice/

Replies to: Should I Reapply to A College That Has Already Denied Me Twice?

• cicero0428cicero0428 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My advice... no. If you were a senior in high school the first time you applied, and are now not enrolled in a university, you should just move on and not waste time and energy re-applying. Most of your career is defined by what you do outside of college and the degree is just a piece of paper validating intelligence. Any accredited film school should work.
  • soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,686 Senior Member
    edited April 24
    I ran into this situation this year, as a college counselor, with a student who came to me in this admissions cycle. He has had four gap years, though has been doing something worthwhile. When he applied to college as a senior in high school, his dream school was Northwestern. He did not get in, though had other acceptances, and chose not to go to college at the time, The following year, he applied to Northwestern again and did not get in. He has kept in close contact with the head fo the department he planned to major in. When he came to me to get help with his college process, he wanted to apply ED to Northwestern. I did not think he would get in on the third try, but he was free to do as he liked. He did not get in. However, he had awesome college results, accepted to 12 very good colleges, one more denial, and one waitlist. If denied twice, I don't recommend trying a third time. There would have to be very significant changes in the profile to make it a worthwhile shot. At some point, an applicant must move on. There is more than one college where you can get an excellent education, thrive, and be happy. My student is now thrilled with his college results, but I guess he had to try Northwestern a third time to finally look past it and embrace the wonderful opportunities he has been handed (and he is quite happy with them).
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,430 Senior Member
    I know a young man who was deferred for ED from his top choice school and then wait listed, then denied
    He reapplied as a transfer student and was denied or waitlisted ( not sure which one). He personally made a plea for admiyand was successful.

So, yes, it can happen. I don’t advise making entry to a particular school a singular goal, however. That young man did not. He made sure he had other good choices, and was able to continue with his daily life, doing what he needed to do to achieve his other more general goals which are far more important than getting into a specific school. If one can manage do do that, live one’s life well, and still pursue a a specific goal, like admissions to a particular school, fine to do so, IMO
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,430 Senior Member
    The young man I know really wanted to go to that particular school. He’s glad he persevered. Thoroughly enjoyed his years at the school after finally gaining admissions. Doing great now and happy.

When it becomes a problem is when such goals get in the way of present endeavors and cause harm. If one can do these things as an “add on”, it’s fine. No harm done and you just might get what you want. In my family, we’ve failed at things many times and finally got over that hurdle.
  • McFluffynipsMcFluffynips Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Yes, he should reapply. Of course, before doing so, he should contact admissions, share his applicant information, and receive the reason(s) as to why he was denied the first and second time. Pending on that information, he should then consider whether he is capable of changing the issues given. In other words, if he didn't meet GPA requirements in terms of competitiveness, he should advance in major-related or particular University requirement courses to raise his average - this also includes repeating courses or seeking course forgiveness/academic renewal. Also, if the school is a UC or an institution that requires essay-formatted questions, he should consider making his essay stronger and more personal (i.e. describe his hardships after his rejections and what he has done to improve, and how he will contribute to his dream school). Nevertheless, it should be evident that he should also place his focus on other schools that will accept him based on his current academic standing, he must come to terms with the ideal versus realistic goals without abandoning the school in question responsible for his motivation. Best regards!