Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help! I Missed the May 1 Deposit Deadline. Do I Have ANY Options?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey Editor Posts: 227 Editor
This student didn't commit to a college by May 1 -- find out what options may still exist. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/help-i-missed-the-may-1-deposit-deadline-do-i-have-any-options/

Replies to: Help! I Missed the May 1 Deposit Deadline. Do I Have ANY Options?

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,947 Forum Champion
    You think it okay to
    " tell all of your waitlist colleges (three now, not two) that you will enroll if admitted, and then grab the first offer you get."

Is that ethical?
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,108 Senior Member
    Is that ethical?

Sure ... as long as she withdraws from the other two schools right away after accepting the first offer.

It's actually also kosher to accept an offer from a waitlist while remaining on other waitlists. But, in THAT case, it's NOT appropriate (or at least it's not good karma) to tell a college that you'll enroll for sure if your sights are still set elsewhere.
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 848 Member
    The waitlist is torture for people who are really hoping to get the call. As soon as D SIR'd (well before the deadline), we urged her to immediately contact the schools at which she was waitlisted to withdraw her name. Giving up that spot as quickly as possible to free it up for someone who really wants to attend is the right thing to do.