right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

My Parents Won't Pay for My College Education

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 26 replies226 postsEditor Editor
This student won't be getting parental assistance with tuition, but doesn't qualify for financial aid. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/my-parents-wont-pay-for-my-college-education/
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: My Parents Won't Pay for My College Education

• MassmommMassmomm 3859 replies79 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The student in question didn't say why their parents refused to pay for college, but I do know of one case (involving two sisters) where the parents had the means to contribute, but were mentally ill and involved in a cult, so the kids applied for and received legal emancipation.

They received a full ride to a top liberal arts college. Things were not easy for them (for example, they were stuck on campus for the breaks, when meals weren't provided, and had to work grueling jobs all four years), but they graduated and are now successful adults.

If the letter writer has a situation involving abuse or incompetence, legal emancipation is possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8734 replies321 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The article is about upper income parents who refuse to pay and it describes what students can do to get aid. Their situation isn't much different from low income students except they can't apply to colleges that give need based aid because they aren't eligible to receive it. The students in this position have to look for merit aid or commute to a local school.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 37814 replies2063 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Just read about a loophole being exploited by some parents in Illinois (ProPublica.org) who can very much afford to pay for college but just don't want to by turning over guardianship of their almost 18-year-olds to to other family members or friends in order for the student to be able to declare financial independence to quality for tuition aid and scholarships.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: There is already a thread on this subject, so I am deleting this post and others related to it.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55099 replies2859 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The links/posts in the forum woudl be helpful to be posted here.
    · Reply · Share
  • BellaMorganBellaMorgan 87 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I feel sad after reading the blog, I am still hoping that this student will be able to attend college in the near future.
    · Reply · Share