right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Will Holistic Admission Process Help Student With Subpar GPA, Test Scores?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 26 replies226 postsEditor Editor
Find out how "holistic admissions" will impact students with lower-than-average stats. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/will-holistic-admission-process-help-student-with-subpar-gpa-and-test-scores/
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will Holistic Admission Process Help Student With Subpar GPA, Test Scores?

• KTJordan78KTJordan78 156 replies8 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    The magician with a 3.2 thinking they were gonna get into NYU made me LOL a little. I mean, that WOULD be magic!
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77170 replies672 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    For the more selective colleges, any sub-par applicant attribute (GPA, rank, test scores, essay, recommendations, extracurriculars, etc.) will be the most important attribute in causing rejection.
    · Reply · Share
  • HPuck35HPuck35 1978 replies15 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Holistic doesn't mean that they ignore GPA and test scores. They will use them as soft "gates" to get past into the holistic review pool.
    · Reply · Share
  • mackinawmackinaw 2979 replies53 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 15
    Back when my kids were looking at colleges, a few of colleges styled themselves as looking for "well-lopsided" applicants. The applicants didn't have to be Superwoman or Odysseus (said to be "skilled in all ways of contending"). Distinguished or original achievements, signs of future distinction or potential in some specific areas (athletics, practical matters, art, music, debate, community organization), and perhaps a commitment to an intellectual life, were great qualifications.

I think there are still many colleges that admit students who have strong inner-motivation, who seek satisfaction from exploring and learning new things, and who have very good core (even if not yet advanced) skills but not near-perfect "numbers."

Looking back, I know that my #1 didn't spend any time prepping for the standardized tests, but he had taken them a few times for the Northwestern program, so he did very well when the tests counted. My #2 was going to become an artist. That's where she focused her college prep outside of school. Her portfolio mattered more than her numbers. Later on, when the numbers counted more heavily (she applied for an MBA on top of her BFA) she took a math course, studied for the GMAT, and got into a top 10 B-school. Both of my kids are well lopsided, though in different ways.
    edited August 15
    · Reply · Share