right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Do Colleges Review Applications Before the Deadline?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 31 replies305 threads Editor
The Dean discusses whether colleges review applications that are submitted early. https://insights.collegeconfidential.com/colleges-review-applications
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do Colleges Review Applications Before the Deadline?

• skieuropeskieurope 39730 replies7235 threads Super Moderator
    While everything "the Dean" says is true, there are several caveats that applicants need to keep in mind.

If a college reviews applications before the deadline will depend upon the college and the AO. At many colleges, AOs are still in the field doing college fairs and the like up until the deadline.

Even if an application is read early, it will still be compared to other applicants from the same HS/region,and the vast majority of those applications will come in at the deadline. So an AO may may initial notes, but s/he will still go back later.

The applicant needs to understand that sending in an application, for a school with a fixed decision date, is not a way of improving chances. Certainly sending in an application early is a huge weight off the applicant's shoulders, but it really should only be done if the applicant is 100% satisfied with the applications, and has proofed, reproofed, and has had someone else proof.
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1460 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Agree, don't hit the send button until you are ready, but if you have avg or below avg stats and are really banking on some unique EC and/or essay, it might be advantageous to get your app in before the deluge on the off chance that the AO reading your file will have slightly more time and less app fatigue.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34763 replies391 threads Senior Member
    Or the adcom could be less tolerant, you never know. Don't forget, at many top holistic colleges, there's a first cut, before deeper reviews. Later, comparisons are made. It's not like concert tickets, where the early bird catches the worm.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1232 replies16 threads Senior Member
    There seems to be an asked and an implied question.

Yes, some schools will look at files early, if complete, as noted. The question concludes by asking how it's possible to review all of the applications when there are "about 10 people listed on the admissions staff. "

First, an AO at an Ivy I spoke with recently said they have about 70 people involved in the admissions review process. A list on a web site isn't a be all and end all of who is involved.

Second, schools do this for a living and have been doing it for years. Their job is to review applications, which the institution has probably been doing for decades (if not centuries :wink: ). Don't worry that it's impossible, or that your file may be missed.

The related question - whether they read them early or not, how they get through all of them, etc., etc., - don't think that getting an application in before the deadline will give some some type of an advantage in the process. If they read it early, they will capture a summary, extract key statistics, etc., as they will do for others that come in later, and then will go back to the entire population to start making decision.

Rolling admissions is the exception, but that's different.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34763 replies391 threads Senior Member
    edited October 28
    Most top colleges have RD apps reviewed by multiple readers. So even if an AO reads it, say, on Dec 20, after Early apps are completed, the process has hardy begun. He or she would release the app for subsequent reviews, (assuming it passed first cut.) The idea is another may catch something or have a different perspective or experiences.

70 is a lot. I thought H says 55 reading. That may be old, but the trend is to reduce a bit. I wonder if that Ivy person was noting the entire staff in admissions, incl support-?
    edited October 28
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1460 replies8 threads Senior Member
    edited October 28
    There are 26 Yale Admissions Officers. Applicants are only "guaranteed" 1 reading. A structural legacy advantage is legacy applicants are guaranteed a second reader. My point in post #2 is if your stats are marginal (let's say at +- the 25 percentile) and you were hoping someone would notice your unique EC or masterful essay, you might better pique an AO's curiosity if your app was read before the deluge. AO's are humans and attacking a stack of 100 applications is different than 1200. Now a person at the 25th percentile without a strong hook has a tiny chance of admissions, but if he/she makes it past the first cut, he/she still has an infinitely greater chance than someone who was cut.
    edited October 28
    · Reply · Share
  • HPuck35HPuck35 2018 replies15 threads Senior Member
    From a slightly different point of view. The application may not be read early but you may get on the list for an interview sooner and have a better chance of actually having that interview.

I am an alumni volunteer who does interviews of applicants. I get the applicant's contact info only after their application is submitted. Interviews are not required but there is always a push to interview as many applicants as possible. There isn't a great amount of time between the application deadline and the interview reports deadline.

I am retired, so I was able to interview all of my list of students but some other interviewers didn't make it all the way through their lists. It is typically the last minute applicants who are most likey to not be interviewed.
    · Reply · Share