right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

What Do Admission Officials Know About Applicants' High Schools?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 33 replies325 threads Editor
Admission officers may know more than you think about your high school. https://insights.collegeconfidential.com/admission-officials-high-schools
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What Do Admission Officials Know About Applicants' High Schools?

• Kaway0514Kaway0514 9 replies2 threads New Member
    Interesting. I assume this advice does not hold for international schools such as mine(public magnet, but does not send tons of students abroad)?
    · Reply · Share
  • ash2000ash2000 1 replies0 threads New Member
    up very interesting.
    · Reply · Share
  • pocpoc 4 replies0 threads New Member
    I was wondering how colleges evaluate the students from different schools, at least at a cursory level. There is such a large discrepancy even in one city. Our kids are at a very selective school in DC and one of their friends, who was getting 70's transferred to another private and is getting 100's. She is considered one of the smarter kids and other kids go to her for help. She finds it very amusing, considering where she came from but it shows how A does not equal A.
    · Reply · Share
  • mackinawmackinaw 3040 replies54 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Many "elite" colleges use "alumni interviewers" to meet with applicants. In those cases, the admissions office may already know the school, or the alumni interviewer provides insight into where how much of a standout the applicant might (or might not) be. We encountered a couple of alumni interviewers. One was something of a know-it-all jerk who talked mostly about himself and apparently took it upon himself to speak with teachers or others at the school. The other was an interesting individual who engaged the applicant in an interesting conversation.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • LoudounParent60LoudounParent60 8 replies1 threads New Member
    That was very interesting indeed. Enjoyed this line from the parent who wrote in: "My daughter asked her counselor for an "unofficial" ranking and she's in the top 30 percent but no higher than that. She has a 34 ACT and has already been denied at William & Mary so that's why we're thinking they may know about the grade inflation -- on paper, she should have gotten in."

The article indicates that in fact she most likely should not have gotten in, grade inflation or no, and that the parent likely should have known this. While it may seem like a small distinction to some, top 30% is not top 25%, and when you're applying to highly competitive schools, those distinctions get magnified.
    · Reply · Share
  • curiousme2curiousme2 106 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Do colleges have access to Naviance scattergrams, or otherwise maintain their own database of past applicants from each high school, to put GPA’s/scores into context? Especially if a high school only sends a few applications to a particular college each year, will that college look at data points from past years as well?

What about colleges that say they don’t compare applicants against others from the same high school?
    · Reply · Share
  • tdy123tdy123 1005 replies18 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    curiousme2 wrote: »
    Do colleges have access to Naviance scattergrams, or otherwise maintain their own database of past applicants from each high school, to put GPA’s/scores into context? Especially if a high school only sends a few applications to a particular college each year, will that college look at data points from past years as well?

What about colleges that say they don’t compare applicants against others from the same high school?

The colleges don't need to look at Naviance to place the students within the context of their HS. Along with the transcript, the high school attaches a school profile which includes test by test (and section by section) breakdowns on SAT, ACT SATII and AP scores at the HS, as well as detailed information on courses taken and grade distributions. Most profiles also include prior year information on college enrollments or acceptances.

I'm not aware of any highly selective schools that say they don't compare applicants against others from the same HS. For schools that are less selective, or not selective at all, why would they need to?
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • curiousme2curiousme2 106 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Your school’s profile must be much more detailed than my C’s.

Ours does not include grade distribution for individual classes, and GPAs are only broken down into .33 increments. The highest GPA block has over 60 students.

The school does not rank.

Only the average ACT composite score is reported. As well as the number of students who participated. No break down by section.

The profile does break down score distribution for AP tests.

Based purely on the school profile, I don’t understand how colleges have enough information to evaluate tippy top students. Especially colleges that don’t see many applications from our high school.
    · Reply · Share