right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Did Late Teacher Recs Torpedo Admission Outcomes?

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 35 replies347 threads Editor
This parent is concerned that her son received bad counselor advice, which led to unexpected admission results. https://insights.collegeconfidential.com/late-teacher-recs
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Did Late Teacher Recs Torpedo Admission Outcomes?

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 8819 replies85 threads Senior Member
    I agree that this is on the student to be checking portals to make sure everything is uploaded. Also agree that a late LOR is not the difference between acceptance/denial. Sounds like the parent just wants someone to blame.

Where I disagree is asking the GC reach out to the colleges to explain the "miscommunication" or having the student do it. Unless the entire senior class didn't get their LORs in on time, this is a student problem. Re-addressing it just brings more attention to the delay.

· Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9936 replies538 threads Senior Member
    edited February 7
    For the most part, I agree with the Dean on this. However, I’m not sure it’s necessary to send an “apology” email. Even though the info was late, they would have seen it and added it to his file. Sending an email to point out a probable non-issue might seem petty and not reflect well on the student, IMO. However, if the colleges which rejected the student weren’t super selective, then that might warrant follow up from the guidance counselor. There is a lot we don’t know though. For example, did those colleges consider interest, and did the student show any? That’s just one possibility.

The parent mentions the high stats of her son, but doesn’t mention which colleges denied him. If they are highly selective, it shouldn’t be a huge shock to be rejected. My guess is that this student applied EA to some very selective colleges, some of which might have been public out of states. Being denied from super selective colleges shouldn’t be surprising to anyone.
    edited February 7
    · Reply · Share
  • HPuck35HPuck35 2050 replies15 threads Senior Member
    It is my understanding that rec letters are given quite a bit of leeway and are not usually "due" the same time as the application. As an alumni interviewer, my interview reports are due a little over a month after the regular admission deadline and about 3 weeks for the early acceptance deadline. And even at that, the college will allow the interviewers some slack.

So, I doubt that the rec letter timing is the reason for the denials.
    · Reply · Share